Who is going to be first...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
To brew NB's new Bacon Smoked Red Ale

I do love bacon, but I'm not necessarily sure it would taste so good as a contributing flavor in beer.

bacon.GIF

Yeah, not me.
I think the whole crazy additions thing is going to disappear pretty soon. It's starting to get too out of hand, with all the bacon, doughnut, hibiscus, peanut butter, maple, granola bar, frosted flake beers, and most of them taste like crap anyway.

I understand everyone's trying to find that one beer that will put them over the top, but what's the old saying....."They were so worried about weather they could, they never stopped to think if they should".

I could never bring myself to buy the Rogue Voodoo stuff so I've never had a bacon beer, but I wouldn't mind trying a bacon beer. But to have five gallons of the stuff? NoooOOoo way, I highly doubt it.

The NB smoked ale is by far the worst beer I've brewed. Not sure what possessed me to buy it in the first place since I dislike flavored beers too. Adding bacon to that makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit!

I had a great bacon beer @ GABF, they somehow did it using specially roasted malts, no actual bacon.

OTOH, after my 1 oz. pour, I had had more than enough.

Maybe it'd be good with scrambled eggs?

whitehause said:
Yeah, not me. I think the whole crazy additions thing is going to disappear pretty soon. It's starting to get too out of hand, with all the bacon, doughnut, hibiscus, peanut butter, maple, granola bar, frosted flake beers, and most of them taste like crap anyway. I understand everyone's trying to find that one beer that will put them over the top, but what's the old saying....."They were so worried about weather they could, they never stopped to think if they should".

+1. Well said.

I had a great bacon beer @ GABF, they somehow did it using specially roasted malts, no actual bacon.

I think Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier tasted more like bacon (in a good way) than Rogue Voodoo Doughnut, yet all they use are smoked malts.

Still not something I could drink 5 gallons of, though.

In the Primary as of 2/5/14, highly anticipated as a few friends and I enjoy trying off the wall beers. We have had some smoked chipotle beers and they were good, trying to find a recipe for that now. I will let you know my weird taste buds opinion in about 6 weeks.

Back