Who has used WLP080 - Cream Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
Made a starter yesterday and when I cracked open the vial to pitch the yeast noticed a very strong, sour aroma. Caught me by surprise... I know yeasts can smell and ferment funky, but I don't have experience with this strain.

Anybody use this yeast before and notice the same thing? I even tasted a tiny bit (what was left in the vial after I pitched) and it tasted sour as well.

Wondering if I should plan on scrapping this starter... I am letting it go for now, but as of this morning the starter is smelling sour as well.

I think you have an infection. Ive use this blend 4 or 5 times and have never gotten a hint of sourness. A bit of sulfur once or twice at low temps but thats it

I'm using it right now for the first time in a cream ale. As I recall my starter smelled like a typical lager starter, and like m00ps I got some sulfur in the early days of fermentation.

My first gravity samples (10 days after massive krausen showed up) did have a hint of a sour-ish cidery note, which I thought was maybe from a tired palate, but which I re-confirmed the next day. But at 14 days after krausen (and with some more clearing, though no further change in gravity) that note seems to have completely gone away.

Thanks for the info! I decided to dump that starter and make another. Picked up another vial of 080, this time non-expired, and will try again. The starter I dumped had a sourish smell but didn't taste as sour as expected. Still, better safe than sorry. I noticed the last vial was three months expired, which I didn't catch. Oops.

Will advise once I crack open the vial and note and difference in aroma.

Latest posts

Back