Who has combined WY Brett L and WLP Brett Trois?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITiger41

Reaction score
I’m looking for any feedback, experiences, comments, and tasting notes good or bad. Thanks.

I’m starting to planning for my first 100% brett beer. I’m leaning towards a low gravity & IBU Saison/ Blond ale base with some acid malt, flaked maize and wheat. I’ve always been intrigued by WY Brett L flavor/aroma profile description profile, but I’ve had some amazing 100% Brett Trois beers. I’ve heard good results when combining Brett L and B, but nothing on Brett L and T. In my mind the marriage between cherry pie-tartness with tropical fruit emphasis seems mighty tasty.

Sounds tasty to me too, but I have tried it.

Be careful making the starter. Those Wyeast packs have a lot more cells than White Labs, Maybe make a starter with the Trois, and then just dose in the Brett L?

Let us know how it goes.

I think you are on to something there.
Sage advice from Oldsock.
I think that Oldsock assumes that you are contemplating a 100% Brett ferment with both as primary strains.
I however, see it as leaning towards B Trois primary and Lambicus as secondary. If this is the case, it sounds sublime.

I however, see it as leaning towards B Trois primary and Lambicus as secondary. If this is the case, it sounds sublime.
you should definitely try this, would love to hear what the results are like.

based on everything i've read, i suspect the results might be disappointing. brett in secondary makes most of those funky flavors by digesting sacch by-products. all-brett = no sacch by-products to transform = minimal effects of using a secondary brett strain.

however, minimal experimentation has bee carried out on brett + brett. if you try it, please let us know what the results of your experiment are!

Recently I've been drinking a wonderful golden sour from trois with a lacto infection. Delicious. Your idea sounds tasty, and I love mixing bugs.

So, come on, tell us you are going to do it. Please.
Pretty please.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry its taken me a bit to respond. I was out of town over the holiday, then returned to wet basement from a sump pump failure and all the clean up, ugh!

After a bit of research I read similar finds as Sweetcell noted, that without sacch by-products (4-vinyls and 4-ethyl) the beer lack the pre-cursers for funkier characteristics found in secondary brett beers.

However, I do plan to brew a 100% brett-on-brett beer within the next month. I’ll keep this thread updated with the beer’s progress.

If anyone else brews a brett-on-brett (primary and secondary), please post your experiences and results.

For clarification I plan to brew a 6 gallon split batch. Batch No. 1 - B. Trois (primary) and Lambicus (secondary); Batch No. 2 - Mixed B. Trois and Lambicus (primary)

Soooooo. update Tiger? Thinking about the same sort of brew, in a darker beer... mainly interested in the Batch No.1 with Brett BTrois PRimary and BrettL Secondary... Similar to one of old Socks Dark Saison Recipes.

Back