Who else hates ipas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I still will brew a ipa for friends but to me i cant stand ipa anymore, to me they are just crappy, such a hipster style, i actually get annoyed seeing so many ipas at the store , who else loathes ipas? Or am i the only one?

In all seriousness, though, I think you're right that IPAs have become a bit of a hipster style. Maybe now that they're popular, the hipsters will move on to something else?

Every bar has several IPAs on tap now. They have to. Few run-of-the-mill drinkers know what an altbier, Belgian golden strong, or a doppelbock is, but the IPA has become a bit of a craft-beer virtue-signal: "Look at me, I'm drinking an IPA, so I must know good beer."

That said, a mediocre IPA is nothing but a hop bomb, but a good IPA is a thing of beauty. The first time I tried Pliny the Elder, it nearly brought tears to my eyes.

In all seriousness, though, I think you're right that IPAs have become a bit of a hipster style. Maybe now that they're popular, the hipsters will move on to something else?

Every bar has several IPAs on tap now. They have to. Few run-of-the-mill drinkers know what an altbier, Belgian golden strong, or a doppelbock is, but the IPA has become a bit of a craft-beer virtue-signal: "Look at me, I'm drinking an IPA, so I must know good beer."

That said, a mediocre IPA is nothing but a hop bomb, but a good IPA is a thing of beauty. The first time I tried Pliny the Elder, it nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Funny you mentioned pliny cause that one is a world class example, it definitely not just a hop bomb i agree with you, vinnie does them proper, but still would not be on my list of go to beer, maybe a tasting glass of it and im moving on

I love hearing people complain about hipsters and millennials. It reminds me of my grandfather complaining about flappers. In the 80s.
Correction, not complaining about the actual hipsters, complaining about their beer (edit) with love, no hate or prejudice all just good fun

I still will brew a ipa for friends but to me i cant stand ipa anymore, to me they are just crappy, such a hipster style, i actually get annoyed seeing so many ipas at the store , who else loathes ipas? Or am i the only one?
At 75 I’m certainly not a hipster and I love IPA’s, particularly, West Coast style and black and red as well!

I don't hate IPAs but I certainly don't drink then as much as I used to.. I don't like the ones taste like orange juice with all the pulp included but I can drink them if that's all that's available. I think that I'm starting to hate the term "IPA" though because it's become the opposite of what it was when I first learned about it. Back in the days of yore ipas were a counter-culture revolution against the bland watery beers that big corporations were shoving down our cultural throats, they weren't approachable so they created an "in" club of people that enjoyed the high bitterness, it felt like an elite group. Then at a time in my life when I was teetotalling and ignoring the world of beer ipa sold out, it became so popular that slapping those three letters on the package could sell any beer. Now I feel we've taken a step backward, the grocery store shelves are lined with craft beer but nearly every one is an ipa, the craft beer movement was born by people that wanted good beer in America and fueled by consumers that wanted to have a choice in what they drank, not just the illusion of choice between a plethora of identical light lagers and here are with only the choice between assorted light lagers or assorted ipas.

Yea I like the IPA, but not the juicy cloudy ones. West coast Rogue etc really make good ones. Anyone had Rogue Double Bastard IPA. Holy Cow, in your face pine needles. Anyway, those west coast breweries really perfected the resiny ipa, clear and hoppy, without the odd fruit and (especially) the cloudy body.

So, to Matty, I like them. But don't really desire the fruity juicy cloudy types.

I agree with a few of you, west coast is definitely the better of the 2, the orangey juice sunny delight ones are the real ones that i just loathe , its those ones im really talking about even though gotta be honest not interested in drinking WC ones either

Funny you mentioned pliny cause that one is a world class example, it definitely not just a hop bomb i agree with you, vinnie does them proper, but still would not be on my list of go to beer, maybe a tasting glass of it and im moving on
Pliny was, and still is, the quintessential American IPA. Anything else (and there are a LOT of good ones) are merely imposters to the throne. Indeed, Pliny had its 'fanboy' phase of fair-weather fans and followers, but it has always been the best definition of the style, regardless of where popularity trends take us. PtE rules Supreme.

I have a new feature request: a thumbs-down "dislike" button.
aww crap.... i've already gotten this a few time due to popular request.....🖕
I'm growing Oyster mushrooms instead of brewing ipas now :D

you should try it! sterile teqnuiqe is fun to do and watch stuff grow out!

as far IPAs go....hmmm, maybe i should crack open one of the two 22lb bags of hops i have, just to get them used up....

Yea I like the IPA, but not the juicy cloudy ones. West coast Rogue etc really make good ones. Anyone had Rogue Double Bastard IPA. Holy Cow, in your face pine needles. Anyway, those west coast breweries really perfected the resiny ipa, clear and hoppy, without the odd fruit and (especially) the cloudy body.

So, to Matty, I like them. But don't really desire the fruity juicy cloudy types.

I'm with him...but I won't brew them anymore...I'm currently in my lager phase of brewing.

In all seriousness, what is the oj sugar wash recipe if you don’t mind sharing

well this batch, being i had problems with getting flow through the taps...i used 1lb of wheat germ boiled in my pressure cooker gently for about 10 minutes then strained that into the fermenter. added 3x4lb bags of table sugar and topped it up with 10 gallons water added the afore mentioned wine yeast...let it go until it hit 1.000....then i filled two kegs up about 6"'s shy of the top, and topped them up with OJ...i get a gravity of like 1.003 and brix of ~5 so i think around 7% ABV...

it's not that bad really, just tastes like watered down OJ....i'll be glad when i'm ready for brewing once a week again. i got malt made and waiting!

oh and it costs $2 a 4lb bag of sugar so it's the same price to me as homemalt beer, otherwise i'd probably be drinking cider.....

An observer of market dynamics might be amused at the notion that shelves flush with hazies means anything other than that's where the demand lays...

as a person that worked in a grocery store for 6 years, they always said pile it high watch it fly....so all it tells me is it must be the highest margin item they want to fly.... :mug:

Hazies are invariably "premium priced" offerings - certainly compared to your macro lagers. "Pile size doesn't matter"

If a retailer is loading up on hazies it's because the math says that's their best path to profit...

Cheers!

well this batch, being i had problems with getting flow through the taps...i used 1lb of wheat germ boiled in my pressure cooker gently for about 10 minutes then strained that into the fermenter. added 3x4lb bags of table sugar and topped it up with 10 gallons water added the afore mentioned wine yeast...let it go until it hit 1.000....then i filled two kegs up about 6"'s shy of the top, and topped them up with OJ...i get a gravity of like 1.003 and brix of ~5 so i think around 7% ABV...

it's not that bad really, just tastes like watered down OJ....i'll be glad when i'm ready for brewing once a week again. i got malt made and waiting!

oh and it costs $2 a 4lb bag of sugar so it's the same price to me as homemalt beer, otherwise i'd probably be drinking cider.....
Actually sounds good man, you carbonate it or serve it flat?

kegged and carbed too 10 psi....if it was flat i'd want it around 12% for some bite....
You can change the juice around, im actually gonna try it with mango nectar cause oj gives me heartburn love the stuff but heartburn city

The mass micro brewers and large brewers completely ruined the style. It's the selling style so put the most of it on the shelves.

I like the good ones which is few but not often. I like to have more than a few beers when I sit down for the day.

You can change the juice around, im actually gonna try it with mango nectar cause oj gives me heartburn love the stuff but heartburn city

there's actually a hard seltzer thread...

mango nectar sounds good, now i'm thinking i'll top the next batch up with cherry juice!

aww crap.... i've already gotten this a few time due to popular request.....🖕

you should try it! sterile teqnuiqe is fun to do and watch stuff grow out!

as far IPAs go....hmmm, maybe i should crack open one of the two 22lb bags of hops i have, just to get them used up....
I was actually serious :D

I found that you can grow shiitake and oysters pretty well without an autoclave. Just use minimum 20% of the substrate weight as inoculated grains and your good, but you have to use pellets as the substrate. These are already almost sterile.

More grains per substrate weight gives better yield due to more nutrients.

I was thinking about using spent grains for this, but I guess they get moldy too quickly without an autoclave.

I was actually serious :D

I found that you can grow shiitake and oysters pretty well without an autoclave. Just use minimum 20% of the substrate weight as inoculated grains and your good, but you have to use pellets as the substrate. These are already almost sterile.

More grains per substrate weight gives better yield due to more nutrients.

I was thinking about using spent grains for this, but I guess they get moldy too quickly without an autoclave.

you need a HEPA filter, and a pressure cooker...

something like this...

https://filtrasupply.com/products/a...PIzWPwUQmdR6TMJw0vlG7M4yrStwQ5nRoCDqIQAvD_BwE
mine is only 6" square though and i use it with a blower on a storage tote....

and you'll need some petri dishes....some parafilm tape...rubber gloves, bleach....

some of these and zip ties to seal them.... i was serious too saying growing mushrooms is fun, and just think of the yeast culturing you could get into once you're over that hurdle!!
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Mushroo...la-701414247731&ref=&adgrpid=67585364605&th=1

you need a HEPA filter, and a pressure cooker...

something like this...

https://filtrasupply.com/products/a...PIzWPwUQmdR6TMJw0vlG7M4yrStwQ5nRoCDqIQAvD_BwE
mine is only 6" square though and i use it with a blower on a storage tote....

and you'll need some petri dishes....some parafilm tape...rubber gloves, bleach....

some of these and zip ties to seal them.... i was serious too saying growing mushrooms is fun, and just think of the yeast culturing you could get into once you're over that hurdle!!
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Mushroo...la-701414247731&ref=&adgrpid=67585364605&th=1
With my current method, I got everything at hand. Pots, water, big freezer bags. Works like a charm! Not complicated at all, low budget and low effort mushroom growing

Back