Who do I listen too....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice

Reaction score
Mr. Malty or Beersmith? Getting ready to prepare a starter with Wyeast 1056 for a 5.25 gallon batch of ale - projected 1.063 OG. Both indicate that I need 229 billion cells and I entered a production date of 8/13 for the yeast into both. I use a stir plate.

Mr Malty is telling me to make a 1.68L starter and Beersmith is telling me 1.06. Any thoughts?

Never mind - I went back and recalculated Mr Malty and it gave me 1.03L this time.

I think I have my answer.

I have a related question to starter sizes in BeerSmith.

Under recommended size for liquid starter, it says number of packets. For a 1.056 Ale it recommends 8 packets in a 1.38L. Is it saying to use 8 vials of WLP? That's $60 worth of yeast, and a little ridiculous.

That's ridiculous and unnecessary for any beer but especially for a 1.056 OG. Are you sure you have the yeast mfg date set up properly? The Beersmith default date is like 2008 or something.

FWIW, I like to use yeastcalc.com as you can calculate multi-step starters.

That's ridiculous and unnecessary for any beer but especially for a 1.056 OG. Are you sure you have the yeast mfg date set up properly? The Beersmith default date is like 2008 or something.

FWIW, I like to use yeastcalc.com as you can calculate multi-step starters.

Holy crap, I didn't even know there was a yeast manufacture date in BS. Never thought to open up the yeast ingredient tool. Well that fixed it, it was set to 2011.

Back