Who can explain Wheat malts to me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
What kind of flavor, characteristic etc. does each wheat grain bring ?

White Wheat (US): ?

Wheat Malt (germany): ?

Torrified Wheat: ?

Roasted Wheat: ?

I want to make a Wheat Pale Ale using 50% Pale Malt and 50% Wheat Malt but combine the different kinds of wheat to make up the 50%

45% Wheat Malt (germ)
4% Torrified Wheat
1% Roasted Wheat

Use more germany white wheat makes it kind a tart unless you like that Not me next time im gettin that weryerman wheat for my wheat.Roasted is always a nice compliment use more. Torreifid wheat needs a protein rest not shure what percentage but i think 10% but are you doing a rest and at what temp. just curious because im starting to mash more and like wheat.

Not sure you'll see much flavor difference between the white wheat, wheat malt and torrified wheat. I would assume the first two are both malted and pretty much identical just different suppliers/maltsters. The torrified wheat is unmalted and puffed (like sugar smacks cereal) - this let's you add it to the mash without cooking it first. The roasted wheat will add more color and a deeper roasty flavor depending on it's color. Not sure if it is lightly toasted like a Munich malt or darkly roasted like roasted barley.

All will give you additional body and head retention.

There may be a small flavor difference between the German Wheat and White Wheat but I'm not sure without knowing more about the product information. They are both malted, so they have the enzymes available to self-convert if mashed like a base malt. This is a generalization, but the malted wheats add the wheat flavor, head retention and some smooth mouth feel. They may or may not cause a haze depending on the degree of modification.

The roasted wheat is also malted and can self convert. It'll add a toasty, roasted, bread-like flavor and a darker color to your beer. It'll still increase body and head retention, like the 1st 2.

JLem was spot on describing the torrified wheat. When he said that they're unmalted, he means that they can not self-convert (starch to sugar) in the mash without some amount of base malt being added with it. They typically steam cook it to pre-gelatinize the starches for conversion so that the base malt enzymes can convert them. They've already been cooked so you won't have to do a cereal mash cook for them. Just add them into the mash with your base malt. You can do a protein rest if you want but you don't have to. If you do the rest, it'll reduce the head retention and body a bit.

There is also carawheat wich is a crystal type malt dont know if its new but it sounds good.It would darken the beer some though.

Back