Who bottle conditions 34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hi folks! i bottled a pale style beer a few days ago that was fermented with 34/70 at about 59f. In the pass alot of my beer went in the kegs but this batch i bottled. I was thinking of letting it ride at about 59f in the bottles as well. It will be over 4 weeks before i will be able to test one.

Should be no problem i assume since its a lager yeast?

I’ve conditioned/carbonated as low as 50. It carbonated but it took forever. Four weeks should be enough, but I seem to remember a few lagers taking 6 weeks or so at that temperature. I can’t recall if they were all higher abv, I know at least one was.

I have used this yeast in bottle conditioned beers a few times. In my recollection, the beer tasted better after a month or two of age, then hit a peak, and a few months after that wasn't as good anymore. So I would say, 4 weeks at 59 F sounds just fine to me.

I've done both. Bottling conditioning is for the birds with a lager yeast imo. That's why I moved to kegging. But yes you can bottle condition, just be ready to lager those bottles for a good 2-3 months after they're primed. Then be extra careful with the pours. Not worth it from my experience

I like 34/70 but I have also given up on priming with it. I have started to prime lagers with a dose of 05 or similar ale yeast, this seems to be a good combo for clean beers that prime quickly.

I bottle conditioned an Eisbock with 34/70 and left a few bottles at 62 deg and some at 72 deg. 72 deg were carbed in 2 weeks, 62 deg took about 4 weeeks. From this I can only assume that at normal lager temps it would take 5-6 weeks. However, I did added some fresh yeast at bottling as this beer had been bulk conditioned and freeze concentrated over about 8 months. Might not be the best comparison.

I bought a TapCooler and now keg everything and fill bottles from the tap if I want them. Much easier and better control over carb level.

Why condition cold? 34/70 is clean at room temperature, and plus, there’s not that much fermentation left to do when you bottle condition. If that’s just the temperature of your storage space, ok, but don’t go to any extra effort to keep things cold. (After they’re carbonated, cool them down to near-freezing for a good while. And pour carefully.)

I agree w/ @AlexKay I've warm fermented 34/70 at 70 degrees for two weeks, then bottle conditioned it. After a week it had a bit of sulfur notes, but very much a lager. I let it ride for another week for conditioning then stored in my fridge for 1-2 weeks. Beer was clean, clear, and delicious. Those beers went way faster than I wanted.

Back