White specks on top of beer in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpenn35

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate milk stout with cacao nibs and madagascar vanilla beans in January. I bottled this beer on February 24, 2012. When I bottle, I always fill one dark champagne bottle, cork and wire it and put it away to age. Well when I made this beer, I was really excited about what it would be like as it aged, so I grabbed a second champagne bottle (which was clear) and filled it too. I was moving some stuff around in the brewing closet and grabbed that bottle, and noticed that there are several little white specks floating on top of it. Any idea what this could be? I swirled the bottle around and they appeared sink back down.

Sorry, this isn't another "Is my beer infected OMG?!?!?!?" thread, but it just has me concerned because a) I'm really looking forward to this beer at 6 months and a year, and b) I've never had one do this.

I'll try to post some pics later.

Could be the lactose that you added didn't dilute completely. When did you add the lactose? It could also just be the yeast in suspension.

Didn't think about that. Added the lactose in boiled water at bottling, if I remember correctly.

Back