White labs viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
I got a saison yeast the other day that was use by 3/25/14 (today). I was wondering how good this yeast could still be. I plan on doing a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As long as you use it by midnight you should be fine. If you live on the West coast you get an extra 3 hours over the East coast guys :) Viability is temp, handling, when you do your starter you should have a good idea. I've had no trouble reviving year old yeast. The guys snatching yeast from bottles are grabbing old yeast off a warm shelf and ramping them up.

As long as you use it by midnight you should be fine. If you live on the West coast you get an extra 3 hours over the East coast guys :) Viability is temp, handling, when you do your starter you should have a good idea. I've had no trouble reviving year old yeast. The guys snatching yeast from bottles are grabbing old yeast off a warm shelf and ramping them up.

I figured it wouldn't be to big of a deal if I got a starter going

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

if its white labs the born on date is 4 months before the exp. date. plug that into mrmalty.com for a decent idea of how big of a starter your going to need to get to proper pitching rate.
sounds to me like you may need to do a 2 step starter or a real big one.

Back