White IPA tastes blah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I decided to make a white IPA and it came out odd. I used 2 row, white wheat and carpils and the color is a lot darker than expected. The thing I'm not happy about is the taste. I used cascade at 60, Amarillo and Citra at 15, and mosaic and palisade at 10. I dry hopped with Citra, mosaic and palisade for 7 days and it tastes almost like stone fruit, which was not what I was going for, I wanted more citrus and I guess what I read about mosaic and palisade was not accurate as I expected more citrus flavor. All in l, an epic failure on all counts, was expecting a much lighter color and citrus blast.

I've never used Palisade but the Hop Union profile has "Apricot, grass and clean floral characteristics". Not even a hint wrt citrus.

I use the other hops extensively and while I don't think Mosaic brings much citrus to the table, I'm surprised the Citra and Amarillo apparently didn't as well.

As for the darker-than-hoped-for wheat brew, I've run into that more often than I want to admit. I had myself convinced it was from too hard a boil and did get the next batch out nice and light. But the one after that was around 6° :drunk:

Cheers!

White Kangaroo (Ozzy White IPA)

6 lbs Superior Pilsen
5 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lbs Torrified Wheat

1.0 oz Topaz 60 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 20 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 10 minutes
1 tbs Irish Moss 10 minutes
1.0 oz Ella 0 minutes

1.0 oz Ella dry hop 7 days
1.0 oz Fresh Orange peel zest dry hop 7 days