White House Honey Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejbj13

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

A friend of mine sent me the White House Honey Porter from Point Brewing Supply, and the grains in the kit appear to be uncrushed. I don't have a mill and I'm curious on how some of y'all do it if you don't have a mill

I'm going to assume its an extract batch with some specialty grains... In which case you can put them in a large ziplock and crush them with a rolling pin. I've done that in the past with good results, but if there are a lot of grains it can be a pain in the ass...

And if its all-grain... Well I'm not really sure...

There's 4 bags of grains, 3-16oz and yes they're just specialty grains. But the rolling pin works well?

Rolling pins work well but the brew store should have a grain mill that you can use. I know mine has one. Just ask most will say go for it. Cheers!

I've used a rolling pin. Pita. Definitely put the grains in a strong bag. The pin will roll a pile out all over the table. I've also contained them in newspaper.

Smacking them with a rolling pin or mallet to crush them also works. Still, keep them contained in something.

People have also used a blender or food processor for specialty grains.

Just stick them in the blender about a cup at a time and pulse it about 5-6 times for a couple seconds each pulse. I did this for a long time before I finally invested in a mill and it never caused any problems.

Back