White Fir Needle Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandoogie

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I decided - in light of the approaching holiday season - to do a little experimentation with throwing a little bit of "Christmas" into a regular, easy to drink pale ale. I'm only brewing one gallon, using this recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

And then I have harvested a big ziploc bag full of White Fir needles (and a couple branches) that I was planning on adding to the beer somehow... After doing a little reading on doing spruce beers (and I've also found a couple people that have done fir beers), I've found that people are generally pretty vague on how to / when to / how much to use when it comes to adding conifer needles in beer...

I had kinda settled on - for my first attempt at it anyways - trying to just add some portion of the needles only at flameout and allow them to steep for a while (30-45 mins) before chilling, and then straining them out when I transfer to the fermenter... But i have no clue as to how much I should add, or if I should be adding them at different times, etc... I have seen some people have even had whole white fir branches in with the mash! So I don't know.

If anyone has had any experience with this, or has any advice to offer me at all, that would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

Back