White Film

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aweaselkid

Reaction score
I've read a bunch if posts about white film, and think I have the same issue..

I just racked a batch of cider to secondary a few days ago, and just noticed this now..

I bought fresh-pressed cider from an orchard, used CY17 yeast and some nutrient. No campden tablets.

Primary went well for 3 weeks, racked to secondary. Was concerned about headspace, and was going to top off or use marbles, but haven't yet.

I tasted during transfer, and tasted good and fruity, nice and tart, nothing out of the ordinary..

Upon seeing the film, I shook the carboy slightly as I didn't know what it was, and the film, which looked like shattered glass at first, broke up and coagulated. I'll put up some pics, albeit, they aren't the best.

I've read mixed reviews, but am optimistic as it's only been in secondary for 3 days. May not be able to do anything about it for 2 more.

I have a few options:

Can rack into individual 1 gallon jugs, which I have several of.
Or rack into a primary bucket, as I don't have an open fermenter.

I realize headspace is likely the issue here, but I don't think I have enough marbles to completely top off, and am weary of using store bought juice, but that might be a better option.

Thoughts?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442373895.508188.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442373910.421520.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442373927.852399.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442373952.907977.jpg

... So, since no one has told me not to, I'm going to rack into my sanitized primary, be liberal in leaving any "filmy" cider, thoroughly clean and sanitize this carboy, then rack cider back into it and blend with 1 to 1.5gal of store bought cider, (since it's that time of year here in New England..

Feel free to tell me otherwise if this is all nothing to worry about, or if blending likely-pasteurized cider is a bad idea, and I'll gladly drink to your name when this comes out great..

I think if you add more cider it will begin to ferment again. I also had a similar issue with a beer I brewed recently. Turned out to be nothing. The beer under the film tasted great and I've already drank it. I would say to package it in your gallon jugs and let it condition in there leaving the filmy residue behind in your secondary.

I don't know anything about brewing cider.
If it was beer I would expect it to be a big batch of vinegar.
Please post the results!

Back