Whiskey beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
Hey! I have been hearing around about whiskey beer. Not really sure how one would make this and the aging process. Is it aged in a whiskey barrel? Or is whiskey added to it? Did a quick search and couldn't really find much info on it. If anyone has any knowledge or recipes then that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Charlie

The quick and dirty answer is Whiskey or Bourbon beer is made by:

Aging the beer in Bourbon barrels
Aging the beer in a secondary vessel with some bourbon and/or oak added.
Adding bourbon to the beer just before drinking

Ok, the last one isn't usually the normal technique, but I've done it a few times and it's a great way to get an idea of what a beer and bourbon combination might taste like.

There is some technique involved in knowing how much bourbon and oak to add and for how long to keep the oak in the secondary, or beer in the barrel, in order to avoid over-oaking the beer.

The proper slang term since colonial times is "Whiskely". Usually a porter or stout aged in used bourbon barrels before being kegged. I brew one batch a year for the holidays. Soaking Beam's Black in American White oak I now know is the way to go.:rockin:

I use oak chips soaked in whiskey and then rack my black IPA onto the chips and secondary for about 30 days.

I recommend Northern Brewer's Bourbon Barrel Porter recipe. I have made it a half dozen times and it never disappoints. I use medium-heavy toast oak cubes (1 pack) and soak them in about 12 ounces of makers mark for a week. I primary for 3 weeks, then I add the bourbon and oak cubes to secondary with the beer for about 3-4 weeks before bottling. Great beer.
I have also dabbled with a Jameson Irish Red. I used about 12 ounces of Jameson - too much. Whereas the bourbon porter all blends and melds together, the Irish Red with Jameson was harsh and overpowering. I think it had promise - but if I did it again I would shoot low on the Jamesons ....6 ounces maybe to start.

I used 2ozs American white oak this time with no more than about 3ozs beam's bourbon,the regular one. Bourbon flavor nearly gone by Christmas after secondary one week. I'll use Beam's Black next time & longer secondary.
The beer was Midwest's PM Traditional stout kit.

I've used 1 ounce of Jack Daniels smoking chips (Chipped up JD barrels) with a cup of Old Crow bourbon. The bourbon wasn't that great and there wasn't enough of it, but I'd like to try again some time.

On a completely different tangent, whiskey makers make beer first, then distill it to make the whiskey. Bourbon has a large amount of corn, but not all whiskeys do.
Scotch makers use barley malt that is smoked over peat, and is fermented then distilled and aged in used bourbon barrels, and that could be what people are talking about too. Or, they could be referring to beer made with peat smoked malt, which can be overpowering.

No,whiskely is definitely beer brewed & fermented to FG,then aged for a short time in used bourbon barrels. Or today,chips soaked in bourbon,etc to immitate it.

Latest posts

Back