Whiskey Barrel Aging... what style of homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nucmed24

Reaction score
A buddy of mine owns a distillery, and he wants me to make a 5 gallon batch of homebrew, then age it in one of his whiskey barrels.

Any suggestions on the type of homebrew to make?

Thanks! :rockin:

Imperial stout, American Brown, Porter.

The dark, strong beers usually balance out the whiskey/oak flavors best, but you can put whatever you want in there. I want to do a cider in a whiskey barrel.

Breckenridge-Stranahan's makes a whiskey barrel aged ESB called Well Built and it is fantastic.

Innes & Gunn is a brewery in Scotland that ages their Scottish ales and Wee Heavies in various liquor barrels including whiskey and rum. I would be inclined to try that.

Just bottled a breakfast stout clone that was aged in a fresh wheat whiskey barrel. If I were to do it over again I would have made 10 gallons for the barrel and 10 gallons to blend with it. The barrel imparted a strong whiskey presence that takes away from the character of the beer inside it.
The next run is going to be a blended stout or porter of some sort until the whiskey flavor starts to tone down a little.

Latest posts

Back