Whirly pop Roasting Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamAshBrewing

Reaction score
New roaster here with only about 2 pounds experience. I realize times vary by type of roaster, bean, etc. But what should I target for first crack time and total roast time on a Whirly pop for Full City Roast?
My roasts are even, and coming out at about Vienna or slightly darker, with first crack at about 5 minutes and total roast time of about 7 minutes. I'm roasting 8oz at a time.
The coffee tastes ok, but not great, and I would prefer a Full City Roast. I cant tell when second crack starts, so I am thinking I am roasting too fast.
The Whirly pop I have looks thin and flimsy compared to other pics I have seen. It feels like thin aluminum, definitely not stainless steel.

Thanks alot
Chris

I do heat gun and bowl roasting, so not familiar with the Whirly pop method, but being new to roasting myself I've been going through that timing thing as well. Too fast and the insides of the beans are not roasted and I end up with grassy-tasting coffee. Too slow and the beans sort of bake.

If you're getting 1st crack at 5 mins, maybe that's a little fast. Try a little lower heat and see if you hit 1c a little later. Do you preheat the popper before dumping in the beans? That might help even out the heat transfer a little better when you start roasting. What flavors are you getting from the coffee? What varieties of beans are you roasting?

For most of the beans I've roasted so far 1st crack kind of tapers off and then a couple minutes later second crack comes in, usually with some smoke. To me first crack sounds more like snapping twigs, and 2nd crack sounds like Rice Krispies--more of a softer, crackling sound. After you've heard the transition a few times, you'll quickly pick up on the 1st crack vs. 2nd crack distinction.

This is just my view from the beginner's standpoint as I've been working on the basics. Some of the more seasoned coffee geeks might be able to jump in and give some ideas.

Thanks. I cant get the heat any lower. Next time, I am going to rig up something to raise the popper up a little higher. I'm pretty sure I am roasting too fast. There is no break in noise between 1st and 2nd crack, it sounds like a 2 minute 1st crack. I'm cranking the entire time, except to look at the beans, and when the beans look dark enough, I start cooling.
I don't have a coffee palette yet, so I don't really know what I'm tasting. I "think" I'm tasting some grassy/green flavors, but that could be just mind games too, not really sure.

Back