Whirlpooooool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStoveBeer

Reaction score
Hi all,
For those of you who do...Do you guys usually whirpool pre- or post- heat exchange after the boil? Due to hot side aeration, I have heard it may be better to do so after chilling the wort, but my concern is exposing non-boiling/room temp wort to the elements, which may be just as bad for the final beer before heading to the safety of the fermenter.
And how long do you usually whirlpool for, before kicking out to the fermenter?
Thanks,
OS

First of all, in regards to HSA, I am of the belief that it does not exist. If so, no one would use cooling ships.

I use a whirlpool arm with my immersion chiller so my whirlpool is during the entire cooling process. It works great.

If I did not have a pump I would chill the wort down, remove the immersion chiller and then stir the wort to create a whirlpool. I believe that doing it the other way around and then trying to put the immersion chiller in the hot wort would disturb your whirlpool efforts.

First of all, in regards to HSA, I am of the belief that it does not exist. If so, no one would use cooling ships.

I use a whirlpool arm with my immersion chiller so my whirlpool is during the entire cooling process. It works great.

If I did not have a pump I would chill the wort down, remove the immersion chiller and then stir the wort to create a whirlpool. I believe that doing it the other way around and then trying to put the immersion chiller in the hot wort would disturb your whirlpool efforts.

I agree, HSA is dubious. I also whirlpool while cooling with an immersion, it is pretty effective.

Whirlpooling before chilling will not remove the cold break.

Whirlpool hot, and do it for about 10-15 min, then let it stand for 5-10min to let the trub settle out, then chill. Unless you have an immersion chiller than just chill during the whole process, but let the wort stand for 5-10min to let the trub fall before drawing off to your fermenter.

I know you did not ask...but if you are doing whirlpool hop additions you will get some conversion of Alpha to iso-alpha, I usually estimate it as a 10-15 min hop addition.

Surprised this didn't get more traction. I've always whirlpooled hot (because I use a plate chiller, I assume the same is true of people using counterflows) but others use immersion or no chillers and whirlpool after; does the choice of hot or cold whirlpool just depend on equipment, or are the immersion chillers who whirlpool hot, too?

I think it's an equipment choice...
I use an immersion chiller, so I run the whirlpool while chilling (which works really well) but it's not really whirlpooling since the circulation is slowed by the chiller.
Once I have it down to pitching temp (the colder the better), I pull the chiller, give it a fast spin with a paddle then cover for about 20 minutes. This works good, but could be better.
I don't use the pump for an actual whirlpool because it seems to cause turbulence and the trub cone is not tight.
I'm thinking of going to a plate chiller and whirlpooling while chilling.Maybe tweak my in/out ports Hopefully that will do a little better job at both chilling and whirlpooling.

Back