Whirlpooling with a Blichmann pot help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granpooba19

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, last time I tried to whirlpool in my blichmann it didn't work so well because the dip tube and thermometer probe kept getting in the way. I've now added a hop blocker (which recommends whirl pooling for best results) which will make it harder to whirlpool.

Any suggestions on how to get a good whirlpool going? I was thinking of getting a paint stirrer that attaches to a drill and trying that. Thanks!

I don't have a Blichmann pot, nor do I whirlpool, but I think your paint stirrer technique could work.

I assume you're whirlpooling to get a clearer wort? Personally, I've found that using hop bags and/or a false bottom on your boil kettle to be very effective methods of clearing the wort as well.

So, last time I tried to whirlpool in my blichmann it didn't work so well because the dip tube and thermometer probe kept getting in the way. I've now added a hop blocker (which recommends whirl pooling for best results) which will make it harder to whirlpool.

Any suggestions on how to get a good whirlpool going? I was thinking of getting a paint stirrer that attaches to a drill and trying that. Thanks!

the HopBlocker....ugh. my experience was that enough hops get into the blocker during the boil that it immediately clogged when i opened the valve. i never did get it to work right.

We use a blichman with a hop blocker and have had similar frustrations. The whirlpool technique is easy to achieve with a large flat wooden or plastic spatula. Just stir above the blocker and dip down when on opposite side. The hop blocker itself is actually "not recommended" for use with whole hops. Its impossible for an IPA to be drained without unclogging it no matter how well the whirlpool. We have decided to leave it out most of the time and concluded that it was a waste of money unless we use pellet hops. If anyone has mastered the technique I would love to hear it.

We use a blichman with a hop blocker and have had similar frustrations. The whirlpool technique is easy to achieve with a large flat wooden or plastic spatula. Just stir above the blocker and dip down when on opposite side. The hop blocker itself is actually "not recommended" for use with whole hops. Its impossible for an IPA to be drained without unclogging it no matter how well the whirlpool. We have decided to leave it out most of the time and concluded that it was a waste of money unless we use pellet hops. If anyone has mastered the technique I would love to hear it.

i forgot to add that i was using pellet hops.

Back