Whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing1976

Reaction score
Hears my question. What’s the benefits of whirlpool? Can I use it for extract and BIAB brewing? After whirlpool can I just put in chiller in the pot or would I need other equipment? Can I just use the one whirlpool that attaches to a drill?

A whirlpool is used after the boil, so extract or BIAB have no matter. When I used an immersion chiller, I always put it in the boil with 15 minutes left to sanitize it.

You can whirlpool with a sanitized spoon or use a pump to draw the wort out of the kettle then back in with a circular motion. This requires at least one port in your kettle (I made a return arm that goes over my kettle top).

The reasons for whirlpooling include faster chilling times (wort moving around chiller), to get the trub & hop debris to collect in the middle of the kettle prior to transfering, and for whirlpool hop additions at or around specific temperatures below boiling, typically 150-180F.

I have not seen an attachment for a drill, and would question the sanitation of such a device, but I'm sure it could be done.

The drill attachment should not be any different in sanitation than with a spoon... When I do whirlpool hop additions, the wort is not moving.

I have had no success in getting a cone in the center. I might not have done it long enough or waited long enough so I stopped trying. I have bagged my hops in any larger quantity so I don't really have the need to whirlpool. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back