Whirlpool with BIAB good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB is a mash technique.

Whirlpooling, which is an end of boil/chilling/hopping technique, has absolutely nothing to do with BIAB. Your bag (with spent grain) has left the kettle an hour or longer before that.

Now you could reuse the mash bag to contain whirlpool hops...

Agree with IslandLizard.

But just in case what you were actually thinking about was RECIRCULATING your mash in a BIAB rather than whirlpooling at the end of your boil to collect break material into hopefully a nice neat cone at the bottom of your kettle...then YES.

Recirculating the mash will lead to higher mash efficiency. The trick is being able to maintain temp throughout the mash.

Agree with IslandLizard.

But just in case what you were actually thinking about was RECIRCULATING your mash in a BIAB rather than whirlpooling at the end of your boil to collect break material into hopefully a nice neat cone at the bottom of your kettle...then YES.

Recirculating the mash will lead to higher mash efficiency. The trick is being able to maintain temp throughout the mash.
Sound why to much for me. I’m not getting the ports on the kettle I’m ordering then

Sound why to much for me. I’m not getting the ports on the kettle I’m ordering then
If you're ordering a kettle and you need to decide on welded fittings, and which ones, this IS the right time.
So think about what you need before giving the green light (committing). You can always screw a threaded plug inside an unused port.

My (main) 8 gallon kettle has 2 factory welded ports, an 'exit' port near the bottom, and a 'temperature probe' port a few inches higher up.
I've never had the need for a temp probe and its protrusion inside my kettle, but that (higher placed) port has been used as the whirlpool return for the past 3 years or so.

Also, make sure that whirlpool port is a 'full port,' so you can screw an adapter/fitting in it on the inside, as well as the outside.

Personally I wouldn't use a brewbag for whirlpooling. I spent 30$ on amazon for a 6" by 14" hop spider and it is literally my favorite and most essential piece of equipment. I don't like giving out beer with floaties so call me anal, but that hop spider is the bomb and I highly recommend it! I use it for the boil and again when I transfer beer from fermenter to keg or bottling bucket.

Cheers,
-Paisano

Latest posts

Back