Whirlpool pipe - What is the process after the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarZan

Reaction score
Hey,

I plan on getting a Norcal whirlpool pipe for my setup. It will run from the top of the kettle TC port down near the bottom. I also plan on getting a Jaded hydra IC. I am trying to figure out how the whirlpool is done when brewing. Here are a few things I can think of but I am not sure.

1) You finish the boil and flameout. Any flameout hops are now added and the water is close to 210F. You let the hops stand for say 10-20 mins. You now chill the wort and use a pump to recirculate the wort through the whirlpool pipe while chilling with the IC.

2.) You finish the boil and flameout. You chill the wort with the IC down to pitching temp. You now use the pump and whirlpool port to do a whirlpool. Let the trub collect for 10 mins after the pump is shut off. Transfer to fermentation.

I realize the hops don't have to be added right at flameout on the boil and that some people chill down to say 170-180, add the hops, let them stand and then commence with the rest. I am really just curious in what order the steps go.

Thanks!

Cody

Oh, one other thing. I am not 100% set on an IC yet. I could be swayed to get a CFC, still researching everything.

I'm sure different brewers use different procedures, so I'll just tell you mine. I turn on the pump and begin flowing wort through the Norcal whirlpool tube with 15 minutes remaining in the boil, the same time I drop the IC in. This, to sanitize the pump and its plumbing.

At flameout, I begin flowing water through the IC. If I'm adding whirlpool hops at a temperature below flameout, I shut the water down a couple of degrees above that temperature. Once any whirlpool hops have been in for the desired time I restart water flow through the IC.

When the wort reaches pitching temperature, I shut the water off and continue to circulate the wort for about a minute prior to shutting the pump off. If I am unable to chill to pitching temperature in a reasonable amount of time I keep flowing water through the IC even after shutting the pump down. Before transferring wort to the fermenter I allow it to settle out for 15 to 20 minutes.

Recirculating while the wort is chilling takes the place of stirring and speeds the process considerably.

Back