Whirlpool IPA Recipe Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven1469

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this Whirlpool IPA recipe?

Attachments

• recipe.gif
    recipe.gif
    169.6 KB · Views: 97
If you want IPA you need to add above 170F, and/or add bittering hops to get to your min 40IBUs to style, otherwise the hops will not give the bitterness you need for an IPA and you will end up with an aromatic Pale ale or maybe even something overly sweet and unbalanced. Maybe add 0.75oz FF at 60min and the rest at 170F?

Sorry didnt see you're brewing at 15gal. Maybe more like 3oz at 60min then.... and you can add 3 more oz at 170F. That would give you some bitterness

If you want IPA you need to add above 170F, and/or add bittering hops to get to your min 40IBUs to style, otherwise the hops will not give the bitterness you need for an IPA and you will end up with an aromatic Pale ale or maybe even something overly sweet and unbalanced. Maybe add 0.75oz FF at 60min and the rest at 170F?

I got the whirlpool only addition idea from a local brewery. No hops added until the whirlpool. Maybe instead of 170, do it right at flame out and whirlpool them? It's a 15.5 gallon converted keg. It'll be a 5.5 gallon batch.

Oh I see. A truly whirlpool IPA. Yeah I've done it before, makes a nice aromatic beer. Easy to drink because it's not bitter at all. You can make near-lawnmower tasting beers at higher gravities this way. I say go for it and enjoy! Personally I would add right at flameout and not at 170, you need SOME IBUs to balance the malt sweetness in your beer. Then wait 10-15min before chilling.

Oh I see. A truly whirlpool IPA. Yeah I've done it before, makes a nice aromatic beer. Easy to drink because it's not bitter at all. You can make near-lawnmower tasting beers at higher gravities this way. I say go for it and enjoy! Personally I would add right at flameout and not at 170, you need SOME IBUs to balance the malt sweetness in your beer. Then wait 10-15min before chilling.

I'm leaning that way.

Back