Whirlpool intensity and hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
So I'm trying to determine if the intensity of the whirlpool or agitation during a whirlpool with have an effect on hop utilization in the whirlpool. Does a more vigorous whirlpool with vortex have a increased effect versus a mild swirl?

also someone in another threat mentioned not agitation too much during whirlpool or risk hot side aeration.....i know this is hotly debated, but isn't this more of a myth at the homebrew level due to surface area etc....that and aeration / oxygenation pre pitch being necessary?

If you're using pellets I don't think you need to get particularly aggressive with whirlpool velocity, they're going to cough up their hoppy goodness rather quickly in ~170°F wort with modest wort movement as long as they've been provided enough room to bloom.
Whole cones might benefit from a bit more movement, but otoh if you just give them a little longer time it'll likely even out.

HSA is not a myth wrt home brewing, ime...

Cheers!

I usually " create a whirlpool " with my paddle once the temp. is down to 150F. I actually whirlpool once, let it steep for 10 minutes, come back, whirlpool again and then let it sit for 15 minutes and transfer to fermenter. The whirlpool movement does not take more than 20-40 seconds, which I believe will not cause any issues, especially if you do not splash and throw the wort around like crazy.

I have thought of whirlpooling more than 2 times, as I think the pellets do sink to the bottom too quickly, and in that 20-30 minutes, I want as much contact as possible between the wort and hops. I have brewed over 10 batches using these steps and never experienced any direct issues in the final beer.

If you're using pellets I don't think you need to get particularly aggressive with whirlpool velocity, they're going to cough up their hoppy goodness rather quickly in ~170°F wort with modest wort movement as long as they've been provided enough room to bloom.
Whole cones might benefit from a bit more movement, but otoh if you just give them a little longer time it'll likely even out.

HSA is not a myth wrt home brewing, ime...

Cheers!

"wrt home brewing?"

I usually " create a whirlpool " with my paddle once the temp. is down to 150F. I actually whirlpool once, let it steep for 10 minutes, come back, whirlpool again and then let it sit for 15 minutes and transfer to fermenter. The whirlpool movement does not take more than 20-40 seconds, which I believe will not cause any issues, especially if you do not splash and throw the wort around like crazy.

I have thought of whirlpooling more than 2 times, as I think the pellets do sink to the bottom too quickly, and in that 20-30 minutes, I want as much contact as possible between the wort and hops. I have brewed over 10 batches using these steps and never experienced any direct issues in the final beer.

got a whirlpool paddle recently and will try it out on my next batch. It was that or the whirlpool accessory by SSbrewtech - figured try the cheaper option first, that and I'm not ready to add new holes into my SS equipment....I'm a skurred.

I am guessing you're kegging, so anything better than an old fashioned paddle, will do wonders for the whirlpool and the beer. I for one, have embraced the whirlpool at lower temps. for many beers, as I feel/taste it gives a better and deeper perception of hop flavour. The aroma is also moderately good from a decent amount of whirlpool hops, but of course dry hopping will get you that in your nose/face punch, you want.

I am kegging.
will dose a small amount of late addition and knockout hops but the large whirlpool charge will be around 165 which is when I'll kick in the drill paddle - I effed up when I purchased it and realized last night that because its not metal it doesn't want you using it at temps above 165. in a way its better because I've been wanting to start my whirlpooling around there any way.

then at day 2-3 depending on gravity will dry hop
then move to keg and keg hop for 3-4 days prior to serving.

Back