Whirlpool Basic Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello,

I was talking with a friend about putting together a hop spider for my keggle (to keep the hop particles contained), and he suggested that I look into making a whirlpool setup instead. I'm not certain that this would serve the same purpose, but it got me thinking. I just want to make sure I understand the process.

Basically, I would need to do the following:
-Add a port to my keggle, above and offset from my drain valve
-Attach a whirlpool arm and get another valve for the outside of the keg
-Get a pump and some silicone tubing
-Attach one of the silicone hoses from the pump to the drain valve
-Attach a second silicone hose from the pump to the whirlpool valve
-Turn on the pump after flameout so it circulates the wort from the keg, through the pump, then back in the whirlpool valve

Is that pretty much it?

Also, considering the whirlpool will cause the trub/hop particles to collect in the middle of the keg, should I be concerned about sucking all that material through my dip tube when I drain the keg?

This is the whirlpool arm I was looking at
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=151

Thanks in advance!

Will it assist in the chilling process? Considering I would probably be whirlpooling before and during chilling (I currently use an immersion chiller). Also, when I stir around the chiller, won't it cause the trub to NOT gather to the middle?

Lastly, would I be able to set up a plate chiller or counterflow chiller to run on the pump alongside the whirlpool? Sorry if that's a confusing question..

Will it assist in the chilling process? Considering I would probably be whirlpooling before and during chilling (I currently use an immersion chiller). Also, when I stir around the chiller, won't it cause the trub to NOT gather to the middle?

Yes to the first question. By keeping the hot wort in motion, the whirlpool should decrease the time required to chill with your immersion chiller.

Regarding the chiller interfering with the formation of the trub cone, I can't say. I'd wager a lot depends on the geometry of your specific chiller and how/where it sits in your keggle.

Lastly, would I be able to set up a plate chiller or counterflow chiller to run on the pump alongside the whirlpool? Sorry if that's a confusing question..

I'd only worry about hop trub getting into and clogging a plate chiller at the start of the whirlpool. Seems like that's the sort of thing that would be used after hot whirlpooling is complete. I dunno, though. I use an immersion chiller and a spoon.

If you are using an immersion chiller you would chill while whirlpooling, remove the chiller (while still whirlpooling) to set the debris cone.

A plate or counterflow chiller adds in a bit of complexity if you want to whirlpool.

With a plate chiller you want to get the hop debris to the center first so you can pump and whirlpool without the chiller. Add in the chiller after 5 to 10 minutes without running water through the chiller to sanitize the inside surfaces. Add in the chiller and then turn on the water to knock down the temp fairly quickly below 140. Remove from the whirlpool and setup your outflow temp to your fermenter to what you need.

You can simplify this by giving the wort a hard stir to set the debris cone and then start pumping after a few minutes to keep the debris out of the plate chiller.

All of this depends on your source water temps used for chilling.

A counter flow chiller is not as prone to being clogged up so you can just hook it up and recirculate to sanitize your lines and pump and then start cooling.

Latest posts

Back