Whirlfloc question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I used Whirlfloc for the first time this weekend. All-grain pale ale. It settled a bunch of break material in the bottom of my kettle and since I didn't anticipate this my pickup tube was not at a good angle and I had some go in my fermenter.

About 8 hours into fermentation I've got a thick floating sludge on top that I assume is break material from the Whirlfloc because it's not krausen. The krausen is developing around it. Will this settle out with time and cold crashing or do I just eventually rack around it to bottling bucket?

It should settle out. Are you sure what you're seeing isn't hop material?

Definitely not hop material. It's white.
I will take a photo when I get home but the active krausen was developing around it so it's probably hidden.

It will settle out. You may pick up some when you move to the bottling bucket. It's normal. Nothing to be concerned with.

I don't know about "thick floating sludge" but I've yet to brew a beer that didn't go bright with a solid cold crash...

Cheers!

Now that the fermentation is rolling along I'm confident the white stuff is coagulated proteins from the Whirlfloc. It's breaking up and looks like it would fall if the fermentation action didn't keep it suspended. This was probably the "egg drop soup" stuff from the kettle but now just at a lower temperature. I'll be more careful to try and keep it in the kettle next time. Thanks

I know, I know: Relax Don't Worry, Drink a Home Brew

I have had those proteins/break material in several batches. At first I did not know what it was. Once I opened my fermenter and saw what looked EXACTLY like a wadded up kitchen towel in the beer. After I used a spoon to retrieve it, it broke into a thousand pieces!

I was confused about how I could have left a rag in the beer.

Back