Whipping up a Dip Tube for a False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a similar 12" FB. I removed the nut on the underside of the FB from the elbow fitting and replaced it with a sawed off piece of 1/2 inch SS coupling. I cut the coupling so that I have about 1/8 inch clearance above the bottom of my cooler MLT - I think the piece I used was about 60% of the coupling.

I am hoping to employ the same solution, but I wanted to make sure that I should be getting a 1/2" coupling. I just bought a Rubbermaid MLT off of another homebrewer (it was cheaper than assembling it myself), so I'm not sure what parts he used. When I measure the pipe on the false bottom, it is wider than 1/2". My ball valve says 1/2 316 on it, so I presume that means it's 1/2", but it also measures wider than 1/2". I also need a new barb, so this would be really useful to know.

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick Google search about NPT standards sorted out my confusion about the measurements.

Back