which yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
hey guys, so i'm working on my own recipe for a very simple american pale ale and i want a little input on what yeast to use. I've brewed a variation of this recipe before using US-05 and it came out pretty well. But i've been seeing a lot of talk about Wyeast 1056 and whitelabs 001 and 008. Up until now i've only ever used dry yeast so i'm a little unfamiliar with how to handle liquid yeasts, but i hear some pretty good things about them. Could you tell me a little bit about the properties of each yeast and if you have a preference to a particular style, or make suggestions for others that work well with the apa style. Thanks fellas!

US-05 will be just fine for a simple APA.

Whitelabs 001, Wyeast 1056, and US-05 are all the same strain of yeast; a lot of people pick up differences between them, but exactly what those are and which one people prefer seems to vary so it's kind of a "try it and see what you like" situation.

us-05, 1056 and WLP001 apparently originated as the same strain, though different handling techniques at each manufacturer create slight differences.

Some claim that US-05 throws a greater peachy ester than the liquid strains, but I haven't noticed that myself. I've also observed that US-05 doesn't flocculate as well as the liquids, and that it attenuates a bit higher, leaving a slightly lower FG

I'd stick with 05 for what you are trying to accomplish. It is my normal yeast. Agree with the flocculation not being as great as some of the liquid yeasts, but a cold crash takes care of that for me.

Fermenting now using Denny's Fav 50 (1450 Wyeast) which is supposed to give the beer a better mouth feel, will find out in a few weeks if it is worth the added efforts.

I've used US-05, WLP001 and Wyeast 1056, and I'm dammed if I can detect any difference between them (but I'm not an expert on APA's).

-a.

I've split batches up and pitched different yeasts to compare them several times before. I've compared S-05. WLP001, and 1056 twice now. When the pitching rates were equal, myself and 5 beer snob friends couldn't tell the difference between them. Since S-05 has twice as many cells for half the price and is easier to use, I'd use it over either the WLP001 or 1056.

us-05 is superior, in that it tastes the same, and is cheaper
Yaisse.gif

great, thanks guys I guess 05 it is. nice to know that i've been using the right one all along!

Latest posts

Back