Which yeast to sour with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caphector

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine brewed an agave Belgian dark strong that he wasn't able to get to ferment out. Rather than dump it, he gave about three gallons of it to me. I'd like to sour it, but I'm not sure which yeast would be best. I've tried searching and I swear I've seen information on the flavors the various yeasts produce, but I can't find that information now.

I'll be aging this in a better bottle which has seen Brett already.

if it hasn't fermented out i'd start with brett... if the beer has a high BU, souring it might make it taste like crap - sounds like a good candidate for brett tho.

I had a similar problem- brewed a belgian strong dark that finished too high. I added dregs from a couple bottles of orval, 2.5lbs of sour cherries, then a month or so later some jolly pumpkin and goose island fluer dregs. It sat like that for about 4-5 months. Racked it off the cherries about two weeks ago. It's currently sitting in a keg at 1.004 (down from 1.024 after primary fermentation). Taste is pretty good, but it still needs more time to mellow with the alcohol being relatively high at this point (~10%).

consensus seems to be C, B then L in terms of funkolisciousness, i think it's a matter of how much horseblanket, etc., you want... brett-Cc seems to be very mild to me without any horseblanket style funk... B definitely has it and L (although i've only used it mixed with other brett strains and bugs) i understand is off the chart... frankly i wouldn't want more than i get out of B.

Back