Which Yeast Strain ferments cleaner (and let the grain shine)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slymaster

Reaction score
I'm planning a few SMaSH batches with different types of grain and hops and I'm looking for a super clean, neutral yeast that will let the flavor of the grains (and hops) be upfront.

What do you use?

If you can't keep the temperature low enough for 34/70, then Wyeast 2112 Anchor Steam.

If you can't keep the temperature low enough for that, then a Kölsch or altbier yeast, like Wyeast 2565 or Wyeast 1007.

If you can't keep the temperature low enough for that, then US-05.

Another vote for 1007. I recently used it for the first time in an Oktoberfest-style ale and a Golden Promise SMASH lawnmower beer, and I am very impressed with how clean it is.

Pretty standard Chico strain for ale temps- though I've found US-05 to be less neutral than 1056 or 001.

Lager temps- my WY2007 was the cleanest beer I ever made- lacked the sulphur "lager" taste and was crazy clean- fermented at 50.

Pretty standard Chico strain for ale temps- though I've found US-05 to be less neutral than 1056 or 001.

I've read that Danstar/Lallemand BRY-97 was also based on the Chico strain. I've used it on an IPA recently and found it had floral notes. It wasn't unpleasant though, just slightly more aromatic than I expected but in a good way.

I don't know how it compares with the other Chico strains but I'd like to try them all on the same recipe.

YMMV but I have never made or tasted a good beer made with BRY97. It always comes out fusely and astringent tasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BRY-97 should be the Anchor Liberty Ale strain. There's a long thread about it here. It is fruitier than US-05, maybe on par with Nottingham.

Back