which yeast for a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, you should be concentrate your efforts on your beer recipe first for the yeast you choose. If you are looking at a general non-descript ale then you can use a dry ale yeast.

Many fruit/wheat recipes I've seen call for a Weihenstephan or Bavarian yeast. If you use these and ferment on the warmer side you are also going to add the banana flavors from those yeasts.

What beer style are you looking to brew? Right now the yeast you are looking at are an Australian (as in down under not Austrian as in Schwartzenegger) and an Alt/Kolsch.

Remember that fruit flavoring is an addition or enhancement. If the beer is not good to begin with then you're going to end up with fruit flavored crap.

As far as a sweeter more fruity beer, all you have to do is reduce your bittering hops by 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Of course the results depends on the recipe you use.

jjsscram said:
I am starting to put togather a recipe for a Rasberry wheat fruit beer. I am have a not sure which yeast to use. Right now I am thinking of a http://www.whitelabs.com/ratings.asp?id=WLP009
or
http://www.whitelabs.com/ratings.asp?id=WLP011

Which do you think would lead to a sweeter more fruity beer? If you know of a better different brand yeast let me know.

thanks

Those are both good yeast to use. American ale, and whitbread ale are what i use. They encentuate the fruit. A good addition to make to the fermenter after the vigourous fermentation calms down a bit for a fruit beer is "lyles golden syrup". Taste like candied apple, and is made of corn sugar. It will raise the alcohol content, but will compliment the fruit and leave a residual sweetness depending on how much you use. Dont want to use too much, because as with any cane or corn sugar will lend cidery flavors if used in excess.

I did a honey wheat with WLP320 that came out fine. It it pretty clean....very little, if any esters that are associated with the German weizen strains.

It also came out with a nice, almost floral aroma. I can only guess that was from the orange blossom honey. I think that beer would be a great base for adding fruit, and I wouldn't hesistate to use the 320 again.

Remember that fruit flavoring is an addition or enhancement. If the beer is not good to begin with then you're going to end up with fruit flavored crap.

Sorry. This is a random old thread. But, I thought this was funny.

Back