Which whiskey to use for my stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Malt

Reaction score
I'm brewing up another batch of my oatmeal stout today and i want to split off some of it to age on whiskey soaked oak chips. I'm hoping to get some input on what whiskeys people have had good results with, or what ones just did not work out well.

I've used Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Eagle Rare... anything that contributes to the complexity without adding uncharacteristic flavors is what I would recommend. For instance, caramel, vanilla, cocoa, oak, toffee would be good, and (to my palette, anyway) mint, excessive fruitiness, anise, etc would be uncharacteristic.

ymmv

As far as bang for your buck, I go with Elijah Craig or Wild Turkey 101. I hate dumping 1/4 bottle of really good bourbon over a pile of wood chips.

Honestly I like the WT 101 the best. It gives you a nice peppery bite.

I'm brewing up another batch of my oatmeal stout today and i want to split off some of it to age on whiskey soaked oak chips. I'm hoping to get some input on what whiskeys people have had good results with, or what ones just did not work out well.

Which whiskeys do you like to drink? Use one of those.

Back