Which Stout for a Bourbon Barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvlack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched around the forums looking for information on this, but haven't found much.

There are so many styles of stouts that can be made, Dry, Oatmeal, Foreign Extra, Sweet, Imperial, etc. I really want to make a bourbon barrel variety of this, but am having a hard time determining which style to start with for the base.

Is there one specific style that people have found to fit best? I have noticed many Imperial versions on the forums, but is this the best/right base to start with?

Anyone have opinions on what might be better to start with?

You need something solid (in terms of body, flavour and hop bitterness to name but three) to stand up to the Bourbon so yeah: Imperial would prolly be best.
Of course: all depends on the actual bourbon you intend to use, and how long you intend to leave the beer on the barrel.

The answer is simple....the one you want
They will all work and I enjoy making BB beers. I will be bottling a BB Nut Brown later this week.

I'd suggest Denny Conn's BVIP (Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter) Yes I know you said Stout, but I would love someone to make his recipe and add the bourbon to it and put in a Barrel to see what happens... Its phenomenal on its own how he brews it, but i'd be curious if you would consider brewing it and reporting back on it.

http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_bourbon_vanilla_porter.php

Just sayin ;)

Back