Which quick disconnects do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskygreg

Reaction score
I'm getting a march pump for my setup and need to get corresponding quick disconnects. I have no experience with these, but have been researching online.

What do you use? And what would you recommend for versatility and ease of use?

Also, anyone have a good resource (video or thread) on using brew pumps in general?

Thanks!

i use the blichmann ones, there not bad but if i were to start over i think id get the ones that look like air compressor fittings...forget what there called..lol

brewmcq said:
I'm using the Kent Plastic Disconnects for now. They work and I haven't noticed any off-flavors from them, but they are plastic.. if you cross thread one onto something metal (like a stainless valve, for example) it's ruined. On the plus side, they are wicked inexpensive. To be honest, I'm still debating between the stainless QDs and camlocks. Brew pumps.

Those are the two that I have trying to compare. I wish I could try them out first. I may have to just take the plunge and pick one. I also checked out blichman, but found less places carry them?

Thanks for the feedback!

I debated and debated when I bought a pump. Ultimately I went with the stainless camlocks. I'm glad I did. They are sturdy and quick to connect/disconnect.

Money well spent.

I ordered up the add a pump kit from Bobby M. Can't wait to get it.

Now I have to decide how I am going to mount it? I will be using it in my kitchen. Will not be attached to a sculpture, so I'm thinking a basic plywood enclosure open on one side would be sufficient. I may mount it up with a 2 foot stand to be about 2 feet above the floor as my MT and BK will be on the counter (3ft hight).

Sound good?

I just upgraded from the CPVC (plastic) QD's to SS cam-locks. I am brewing with the cam-locks for the first time tomorrow night but they are way nicer than the CPVC ones.

I ordered up the add a pump kit from Bobby M. Can't wait to get it.

Now I have to decide how I am going to mount it? I will be using it in my kitchen. Will not be attached to a sculpture, so I'm thinking a basic plywood enclosure open on one side would be sufficient. I may mount it up with a 2 foot stand to be about 2 feet above the floor as my MT and BK will be on the counter (3ft hight).

Sound good?

Mount it to piece of 1 x 6 oak (maybe?), put four big rubber feet on the bottom, mount the pump and then make a big looped handle up and over the pump.

Thanks Bobby M. your videos rock and I am excited to get my pump set up. I like your idea of simply using a wood board for mounting my pump. Should I be concerned about protecting the top of the pump. I plan to plug it into a GFiC protected outlet. I guess I don't know a lot about electrical stuff, but think I should be okay. I'm usually pretty clean when brewing, but $$it happens sometimes where things go wrong (ask me about my Bad Day Brown Ale, which is delicious).

Anyhow, Thanks for the feedback and thanks for your efforts to come up with the ideal pump and attachment process.

Greg

Actually if you talk to Mike at Chugger, he doesn't recommend any kind of splash guard. I'm only assuming he knows better. I don't mean you want to drop the pump into a bucket of water, but how much water/wort is flying when you brew?

I don't know. But most motors where you can see the windings, you don't want to get water in there. If you had a bad boil over, I'd let it dry out before turning it on. The guys at chugger may see HERM's guy's with a pump-in-a-box, running it for an hour or more (over heating) and that's not good for it either, IMHO. I take a piece of flue pipe, not clipped together and cover the motor, so it can still breath.

Latest posts

Back