Which pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForestGroveBrewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 20 gal brew kettle. Now that I have 2-11 gallon batches under my belt, I have come to realize I need a pump. Moving hot liquid around is dangerous and back breaking. What pump would you suggest?

March or Chugger. Both are food safe and high temp. Price is about the same on both. Look for the best deal on shipping or lowest delivery time. Can't really go wrong with either one. I have a March and it does a great job. It is the most basic non-stainless pump type, one each and it is fine for my three tier.

Wheelchair Bob

I like the Chugger people, they come on here with sales, like "March madness". Chugger also offers a SS head. Your going to need some fittings too. I like cam-lock full port.

If your just doing hot liquids it's one thing, but it would also be nice to move cooled wort or beer. I would look for a pump that quickly disassembles for cleaning inside.

When you plumb in your pump put a ball valve on the outlet side to control your flow and you can introduce Star-San at the top and pump it throughout the system to clean your pump between brews. Just do not operate them dry, keep em primed and you will get years of great service from either. I flush mine after I am done brewing, and again before I start the next batch. I have never had any issue doing it that way. Remember to use PTFE tape on all the joints and use cam locks to get the best flow and your good.

Wheelchair Bob

Chugger stainless center inlet... Then theres no need to worry about the orientation as much as the pass through head. (On pass through inlet is down which unless hardplumbed or mounted is a pain to hold)

Just picked one up on amazon for $117 + shipping

Back