Which profile to target in Bru'n Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
when your using Bru'n Water, do you target (try to make green cells) in the target finished water, the actual finished water, the Mashing water profile or the overall finished water profile?

Lets say I am using 100% RO and building to up a specific water profile for a simple pale ale, when I add salts I can make the overall profile green, by adding a little of this and a little of that etc, but then the other cells are no longer green, so which line should I be adjusting for?

This is what I mean...

I can make the Overall Finished profile green, but then the mashing water profile turns yellow, I can seem to make them all green :/

upload_2018-6-21_19-16-12.png

You've max'd out all the cells that can turn green. The overall finished profile is the one that matters for beer flavor. The only reason that the calcium cell on the mashing water profile line turns green is to indicate when its above 40 ppm, which is about what is needed to remove the beerstone precursor: oxalate.

You'll note that the comments for the cells on the overall finished profile row indicate that they can turn green. The cell comments in the mashing water row do not say that.

Back