Which Pot should I use as my Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferm.adventures

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all -

Looking for some general thoughts/opinions. I'm currently using a 10 Gal. Megapot 1.2 as my Brew Kettle, I drilled and installed a bulkhead/ball valve, and an ad hoc dip-tube.

As well, I just acquired a 10 gallon Polar Ware Brewrite pot with a welded ports and installed ball valve and thermometer.

So I plan on using the polar ware as a MLT, but I was wondering if I'm missing something, and would be better off converting the Mega Pot to the MLT. I'm going to install a Blichmann autosparge, so one will be a dedicated vessel.

Any thoughts on which pot I should put a hole in? :)

Last edited:
Either one is fine, you'll just need either a bazooka tube or false bottom for the pot you'll dedicate for a MLT.

How will you keep the temps in the MLT? HERMS/RIM setup? If neither of those you'll need to either find a way to gently heat the MLT or insulate it to keep the temps for the 60/90 min mash.

Going to regulate temperature via RIMS, and going to make a Reflectix jacket . Slowly trying to fully move inside.

Does anyone have experience with the made to fit false bottms for either pot. There seems to be a lot of dead space with those.

Going to regulate temperature via RIMS, and going to make a Reflectix jacket . Slowly trying to fully move inside.

Does anyone have experience with the made to fit false bottms for either pot. There seems to be a lot of dead space with those.

You can always get a domed false bottom to reduce the dead space.

I built my MLT out of an old 15.5 gallon ked and made it a bottom drain to eliminate the dead space: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528153

You can always get a domed false bottom to reduce the dead space.

I built my MLT out of an old 15.5 gallon ked and made it a bottom drain to eliminate the dead space: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528153

Nice project on the Keg MLT conversion! I do have a small domed false bottom that I plan on using initially. I was considering going direct fired for the MLT, and still might play around with it, but would want a FB with more dead space. I had a bad batch with the this false bottom and a direct fired aluminum pot. I think i really scored the wort as the low volume heated up really quick, and not transferring into the grain bed. At least that is my theory. I'm assuming that a scored wort in the RIMS will be unlikely as I've never had a stuck recirculation or sparge yet.

Nice project on the Keg MLT conversion! I do have a small domed false bottom that I plan on using initially. I was considering going direct fired for the MLT, and still might play around with it, but would want a FB with more dead space. I had a bad batch with the this false bottom and a direct fired aluminum pot. I think i really scored the wort as the low volume heated up really quick, and not transferring into the grain bed. At least that is my theory. I'm assuming that a scored wort in the RIMS will be unlikely as I've never had a stuck recirculation or sparge yet.

Back