Which Oxygen Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I bought the below O2 tank off craigslist for $20 and plan on building an inline oxygenator. What regulator do in need to buy for it?

thanks!
George

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

1390258691294.jpg

I bought the below O2 tank off craigslist for $20 and plan on building an inline oxygenator. What regulator do in need to buy for it?

thanks!
George

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

On e-bay, Home Depot, etc. you will find the welding oxygen regulator with CGA 540 connection.

A picture of my regulator

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Oxygen_Regulator.jpg

If you want a new one check with your local Airgas distributor or Fastenal both have private label regulators brand new with a warrentee. I'd stay away from used unless you know the owner or it looks new. I'm an Airgas distributor own a welding and machine shop and teach welding and I can tell you regulators are abused and you don't want a faulty one. Be safe and buy new.

For oxygenating wort, look for a regulator with a flow meter or gauge that can be read down in the 1 liter per minute range when used with oxygen. The scale on the flow meter on my cutting tank starts well above that range and would be far from ideal to use on wort - at least if you want any kind of repeatable precision.

I picked up one of these hospital grade Western Medica m1-540-15fm single stage O2 regs with a .5-15 lpm flow meter a few years ago. It's overkill for most, but I got a great deal on it, and my inner engineer loves it ;) Plus it's the same reg the hospitals I've been in use in patient rooms (plugged into a wall port) which gave me at least a bit of assurance it wasn't a piece o' crap.

6ff88373f23494170e39559bf2a86920.image.266x250.jpg

I'd have opted for the m1-540-7fm model (.5-7 lpm flow meter) but there were none to be had on eBay (or anywhere else for "eBay price") at the time...

LOL! I just noticed if you Google "Western Medica regulator with flow meter" my tank and reg show up in the row of pics at the top, linked back to HBT :)

Cheers!

Hi George. I have the same kind of tank (part of a small oxy-acetylene rig).

You don't need anything as expensive and complicated as a regulator since all you're interested in is liters/min flow to oxygenate wort. This kind has worked nicely for my brew needs - http://www.amazon.com/Low-Cost-Regulators-Regulator-0-15LPM-CONNECTION/dp/B002J7FLTW/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390278363&sr=8-1&keywords=cga540+flow

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... I like the size and price of the CGA-540.

With pure oxygen, do I need a filter?

Walmart.com sells the regulator for $25 new but it comes with a DISS fitting. What adapter would I need to match my O2 inlet? They also sell it with a cannula hose barb for $30.

George

You shouldn't need a filter.

Just remember to keep any oil ,( or any combustible liquid), away from your oxygen setup.
You'll see on your oxy. gauges / regulators "Use no oil".

Hi George. I have the same kind of tank (part of a small oxy-acetylene rig).

You don't need anything as expensive and complicated as a regulator since all you're interested in is liters/min flow to oxygenate wort. This kind has worked nicely for my brew needs - http://www.amazon.com/Low-Cost-Regulators-Regulator-0-15LPM-CONNECTION/dp/B002J7FLTW/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390278363&sr=8-1&keywords=cga540+flow

Is this the same connection type as a standard welding dual-gauge oxygen tank regulator? I too just bought a welding o2 tank yesterday. They didn't have any O2 flow-meters, so I got a dual-gauge regulator. Of course, that regulates pressure, not volume, and it was more expensive. I'm wondering if I can return it and get this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the same connection type as a standard welding dual-gauge oxygen tank regulator? I too just bought a welding o2 tank yesterday. They didn't have any O2 flow-meters, so I got a dual-gauge regulator. Of course, that regulates pressure, not volume, and it was more expensive. I'm wondering if I can return it and get this.

It's designed to fit a CGA540 welding O2 tank fitting. It fits mine just fine.

It's designed to fit a CGA540 welding O2 tank fitting. It fits mine just fine.

What is the "outbound" fitting? It looks like a threaded MFL, but I can't find any specs that say, so I'm not sure what size of swivel nut to barb I should get.

What is the "outbound" fitting? It looks like a threaded MFL, but I can't find any specs that say, so I'm not sure what size of swivel nut to barb I should get.

The one I have is a ribbed slip on connection for a standard medical O2 line which is what I use to feed the SS stone.

Back