which of these 2 chillers to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your typical batch size? I had a 25' that I was using for 5 gallons and it took forever to drop temp so I now have $60 worth of 25' copper sitting in my garage and an upgraded IC (Jaded Hydra) in my brew closet.

I know that wasn't your question but at least wanted to share my experience.

Of the two you linked I'd probably go with northern.

It's a no-brainer to me. The Northern Brewer setup is better because the copper hooks over the side; if there is a leak, it's not going to drip in the kettle.

I have the Silver Serpent version, same design. When I see the ones that don't hook over the side, I wonder why they didn't bother to do that.

It's a no-brainer to me. The Northern Brewer setup is better because the copper hooks over the side; if there is a leak, it's not going to drip in the kettle.

I have the Silver Serpent version, same design. When I see the ones that don't hook over the side, I wonder why they didn't bother to do that.

Hose connections eventually leak so I agree with @mongoose33

Last edited by a moderator:
i do 5gallon batches. and have a keggle. dont think the chiller will reach if its hooked over the side

i do 5gallon batches. and have a keggle. dont think the chiller will reach if its hooked over the side

You'd be right. A half barrel sanke is 23" tall, that NB chiller claims 16" to the (top, presumably) bend, so figure the bottom of the chiller would hang ~8" above the bottom of the keggle.
I wonder if the top of the coil would be submerged when you've boiled down "to the fermentor" volume...

Cheers!

If you are doing larger that 5 gallon batches, I think you need a much different chiller.... Those ones would be good for 5 gallon batches. As to leakage I would go with the Northern Brewer one because the hose fittings are not near the kettle.

I just finished a batch yesterday and as a newbie I had a problem with the clamp holding the tubing onto the copper tube and it came off and I ended up with about a cup of water from my garden hose in my wart. I am going to try to reconfigure the tubing like mongoose said to make the ends that clamp to the plastic tube be on the outside of the brew pot.

I just finished a batch yesterday and as a newbie I had a problem with the clamp holding the tubing onto the copper tube and it came off and I ended up with about a cup of water from my garden hose in my wart. I am going to try to reconfigure the tubing like mongoose said to make the ends that clamp to the plastic tube be on the outside of the brew pot.

happened to me too, my hose clamp broke and sent hot water out when the tube popped off, now it has 2 oetiker clamps on each side lol.

I was thinking to solder on some camlocks or something. Not really sure how to go about doing that though.

Also, I would get a 50 foot chiller...

Back