Which little bugger..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkringii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Which guy causes this?

Ive never had anything other then a little dactyl in on batch.. Then found this on my pliny clone after it was in the back of my ferm chamber for 4.5 weeks.. Everything about the brewday went bad so i didnt have high hopes out of the gate..

I can give more recipe details if needed but heres the pic

image-1351109718.jpg

I had that on my second batch. Still not sure what it was, but flavor-wise it had a very mild sour flavor... actually pretty pleasant in my milk stout, which ended up being an unintentional sour beer. There was an otherwise inexplicable metallic edge to the aroma, though.

If it is indeed what I had it might be an extremely relaxed strain of lacto... even with the infection, it still finished obscenely high, at 1.030 (from 1.061 OG.)

This was an extract batch, too, so it's not like I screwed up the mash. No goddamn idea how it happened, but it held 1.030SG for a week and the writing was on the wall. After bottling they eventually started overcarbing... like a month and a half later, as I neared the end of the batch. I'd wager that if I'd degassed a bottle for a hydro sample it would have dropped a bit.

That was floating on top and stuck to the sides when i kegged it.. Light light sour smell..

It was bad brew day supposed to hit 1.085 og but 1.057 and finished at 1.003 (conan)

Looks like a lacto "crust" from lactobacillus.

I think Yooper is right. It doesn't look like Brett pellicle. With the slight sourness too, it is probably lacto. Enjoy. Lacto be an off flavor and can also be a nice intentional addition to some beers.

Latest posts

Back