Which kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I am finally finished building the electric part of my brewery and contemplating building a stainless mash tun. So I can take advantage of consistent temperature control and pumps. I will install a heat exchanger in my HLT and a false bottom in the mash tun. As well as in line sensors and all of the goodies but. With so many kettles on the market I don’t know what to buy. Blichman would be nice but out of my price range. I don’t mind drilling and doing the work of converting a kettle can any one who has built a mash tun recommend a good 15 or 20 gallon kettle. I mainly do 6 gallon batches so I’m thinking of a 10 or 15 gallon tun kind of tall and skinny rather than short and wide

Grab a sanke keg and cut a 12" hole in the top. 15.5 gallons. Solid and thick 304 stainless steel (same material all the others are made of). New is about $110. Used $25 to $45 (craigslist, etc).

I'm biased and would have recommended Spike, but I think Doug might have nailed it for your needs. Especially given your skills already (I'd die to be able to weld - especially TIG - at all well!).

Not a fan of keggles. I feel they are overly cumbersome heavy and the small top opening makes them difficult to clean.

12.5 gallon concord kettle is around 50 bucks and is shiny new pretty as opposed to a beat up old heavy as hell keg.

Jmo sorry if I offend keggle lovers.

Quality tools tend to be as light as possible and purpose designed...a keggle is neither. If your after durability, the heavy keg could withstand all but a nuclear blast.

Very valid points, Wilser

Not sure about the cleaning aspect though. I've used both straight wall kettles and keggles and both are about the same effort level to clean.

I think the choice depends more on the design of the rig and the eye of the beholder.

I have two typical kettles a tall boy I bought from more beer and a shorter wider kettle I bought from a restaurant supply house I like the tall boy it looks good is well built that’s kind of what I am looking for

I am finally finished building the electric part of my brewery and contemplating building a stainless mash tun. So I can take advantage of consistent temperature control and pumps. I will install a heat exchanger in my HLT and a false bottom in the mash tun. As well as in line sensors and all of the goodies but. With so many kettles on the market I don’t know what to buy. Blichman would be nice but out of my price range. I don’t mind drilling and doing the work of converting a kettle can any one who has built a mash tun recommend a good 15 or 20 gallon kettle. I mainly do 6 gallon batches so I’m thinking of a 10 or 15 gallon tun kind of tall and skinny rather than short and wide
I use a 16 gallon bayou classic that came with a spigot for $125 shipped.. its 15.5 inches wide so about the same dimensions as a keg. works great for 6 and 11 gallon brews and electric where the triclad or heavy duty construction would not be justified. also I find the false bottom works fairly well and seals good against the ridge in the kettle.

Back