Which kettle is bettle (rhyme fail)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbymedic

Reaction score
I brew 10-15 gallon batches, some being fairly higher gravity (6.5%-9.5%); all grain, cooler HLT and mash tun. I currently use a friends old 20 gallon aluminum pot that he is needing back from me borrowing so I’m looking at a new 30 gallon kettle. I have an old 8 gallon megapot that I brewed with years ago that I’ve always been SO impressed with. It’s such a thick heavy duty steel. So I’m definitely looking at the Megapot 30 gallon but wanted yalls thoughts on maybe a spike instead. The 30 gallon megapot plus bazooka screen is ~$350 on amazon (comes with thermometer and stainless ball valve). Spike is $445 for pot, thermometer, valve, dip tube.

Here’s my goals/needs. For now, I still use propane but would eventually like to convert to an electric element; farther down the line, a full electric system in general. I want to be able to add fancy add-ons in the future if I want to.

I feel like I’ve answered my own question by typing this all out lol but I still want to hear your thoughts.

Don

I would say the primary reason for skipping the megapot is that if you do want to acquire 3 matching vessels, there isn't a great false bottom. Spike and BrewBuilt both have very good false bottom solutions. If you order a spike, save the hassle down the road by order a 1.5" TC port down low for a future element and you can just put a TC blank over it for now.

Back