Which Hallertaur?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
I am using a brew app, and there are 3 different versions of Hallertaur listed. What is the most common version/alpha rating bought at the LHBS, and more than likely, will they know which one they are selling me?

Hi,

Hallertaur is a region in Germany known for its hop growing. They grow several different varieties including one just called Hallertaur which is known mostly for aroma/flavor in lagers. It's also grown in the US and in New Zealand. It's usually around 3-6%AA. There's also Hallertaur Mittelfruh, Hallertaur Tradition, Taurus, Magnum, and more. Mittelfruh is 3-6% AA, Magnum is 12-14% AA. The LHBS should list the AA on the package.

Here's my understanding:

Hallertau is the variety of hop. If it is grown in the Mittelfruh region, it may be labeled Hallertau Mittelfruh, but it is the Hallertau variety. If the hop is labeled only Hallertau, it may have been grown somewhere else, but it is the Hallertau variety.

The other hops that include Hallertau in the name, such as Hallertau Hersbrucker or Hallertau Tradition, are varieties that have been bred from the Hallertau variety, bred usually to be more disease and fungus resistant than Hallertau, which was ravaged by disease in the 1970s. They are largely interchangeable in terms of flavor and aroma. Most Hallertau's will have AA ratings of 3.5 - 5%. The homebrew store should have the hops labeled and, most importantly, the AA% listed. Just plug in the correct AA% into your brewing app or software.

Yeah, that can get confusing... you could have a bunch of different things there.. Hallertauer Horizon, Hallertauer Magnum, Hallertauer Tradition, Hallertauer Mittelfruh or even one of the newer varieties out of that region, Hallertauer Blanc. It really does depend what you're trying to brew...

Typically you'll see most of these without the growing region specified (Horizon, Magnum, Tradition for instance), so I would look at the AA to give you a clue to what you're seeing - Mittelfruh is a traditional aroma hop with a relatively low AA (4-5% AA); I don't think Mittelfruh's widely available but it has a fairly direct substitute in Hallertauer Hersbrucker with a similar AA range (2-5%). I would hazard a guess that you're seeing one of these two varieties.

Blanc is a newer variety and is also used primarily as an aroma hop but has a moderately high AA in the 9-11% range. That could be another your LHBS is selling.

Thanks!

I am brewing a standard German hef btw. Just trying to figure out how much to add to get an IBU of about 12 in a 5.5g batch.

6 lb Wheat malt
4 lb Pilsner malt
1.7 packs of Wyeast 3056
? oz Hallertaur

I did a Hefe recently and used an ounce of Mittelfruh at 60 mins, but the AA on my hops was only around 3.2%... that gave me around 12 IBUs which is what it sounds like you're looking for. Actually turned out to be one of my better beers (did a decoction mash for the first time and it seemed to really help round the flavor out).

Thanks!

I am brewing a standard German hef btw. Just trying to figure out how much to add to get an IBU of about 12 in a 5.5g batch.

6 lb Wheat malt
4 lb Pilsner malt
1.7 packs of Wyeast 3056
? oz Hallertaur

To know how much to use for a given IBU level you will need to know the AA% of the hop. This will change from year to year... Also farm to farm...

All the varieties are related, but the flavor profiles and Alpha Acid levels will be different.

It might be a personal problem but I seem to get a skunky aroma from Hallertaur Mittelfruh. Made me wonder if the skunkiness of some of those green bottled beers might be partially from the hops.

Latest posts

Back