Which flavor of Brettanomyces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrybak

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an Orval- ish inspired Belgian specialty ale currently completing the extended dry hopping this recipe requires. After primary fermentation over 7 days or so with ECY09- Belgian Abbaye, employing a low 60's to low 70's temperature ramp up, I am very happy with the esters and phenolics of the base beer. But now its time to build some more complexity and just get a bit wild with some Brettanomyces.

I'm thinking of splitting the batch into 3 smaller fermenters and adding an assortment of strains I have on hand.
-Brettanomyces bruxellensis
-Brettanomyces bruxellensis trois
- "Funk Weapon #2"- Bootleg biology: a pure but unidentified Brettanomyces
-Brettanomyces claussenii
-Three Brettanomyces blend- harvested from a pair of Yazoo Embrace the Funk bottles

I'm leaning towards the first three. What do you all think? Any suggestions? I have only worked with the Blend before (really nice in a Roraima Amber Ale).

More details, fermentation stats, and the recipe for the Belgian One

Depends on the type of character you're looking for.

Brett Brux is going to give you the classic barnyard brett funk. Funk Weapon #2 leans more towards the tropical side of things, similar to Brett Drie if I had to compare it to something. Claussenii is a mild strain of brett that gives an awesome pineapple flavor after about 6 months. Trois is actually a strain of wild saccharomyces and will not turn your beer funky.

Back