Which fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronstar55

Reaction score
I started building my new brew rig last weekend. I got burners, pump, a couple of valves. Now I need a few fittings, some tubing and disconnects.

I'm looking at either McMaster brass disconnects or Bargain Fittings Camlocks. I've read a lot of threads where both are recommended.

One problem - looks like some of the Camlocks are out of stock and I wanted to start brewing next weekend.

I'm concerned about the longevity and sanitation of the brass fittings from McMaster. I'm concerned about wings of the camlocks and the fact that they are out of stock.

Any suggestions?

I would start right, not "start right now." Take the time to make the decision as to which you would prefer in the long run.

I hear ya on the urge to brew ASAP, but this decision deserves proper thought. If buying the right fittings means you have the wait to brew another week or so, then buy some of your favorite micro sixers and reap the rewards later when you're brewing your own beer with the fittings that work best for you.

TB

I agree with TB, take your time and get the ones you want. If you really need to brew do an extract batch. I hadn't done one in forever until I got my brother a basic brewing kit for christmas and gifted my old keggle and burner to him. It was really fun and relaxing doing an extract batch, his first brew ever and my first extract in 5 years.

Thanks - your advice makes so much sense. I was too focused on getting this rig done.

And I'm sitting here with half a keg of stout and another 5 gallons of winter ale ready to be kegged. I probably have a 6 week supply of homebrew.

I'll take my time and get it right.

i got some cam fittings from austin homebrew. ver reasonable and good internal seals. sometimes on the cam ittings the seals that are supplied dont work well.

i also use the polysulf quci connects and those are nice because they dont get as hot as metal. They are a bit more pricy though.

Check out proflowdynamics.com, too, that's where I bought my fittings yesterday. There was one of the camlock fittings that was out of stock, but maybe you'll be lucky and that'll be the one that you *don't* need. Bargainfittings seems to be a little more short of fittings at present.

+1 to pro-flow dynamics. They were the only ones that carried 1/2" cam-locks a while back, and they usually have the best prices (although prices have been climbing for all the 1/2" stuff).

I have the Mcmaster carr quick diconnects. Used them for about 20 -30 batches no problems so far. Make sure you get the 90 degree ones though. Much better

Thanks for the comments - I ordered a bunch of stuff from bargain fittings this morning - but they are out of stock on 2 of the cam lock fittings. I'll see if Proflow or Austin has them.

Latest posts

Back