Which fermenter should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a new fermenter. I brew 5 gallon partial mashes with BIAB and may be doing some 2.5 gallon all-grain BIAB batches in the future. I also like to brew 6 gallon batches of cider.

I currently have one 6.5 gallon bucket as my primary and a 5 gallon glass carboy as secondary. I like to have two batches fermenting at a time so I usually brew one, put it in the bucket until the krausen falls back in then I rack to the secondary and then brew the next batch to put into the bucket.

I do not like using my glass carboy since it's harder to clean, weighs a lot, and the risk of breaking it and injury. I also cannot use it for primary since it's only 5 gallon. Further, although not ideal, for cider I can use my 6.5 gallon bucket as primary but that only leaves 0.5 gallons head space but cider doesn't require as much space as beer so it's be OK for now.

I would like to be able to see my beer fermenting during primary to help estimate how far along it is and also because it's cool to see. Right now I'm thinking of buying a 7 gallon fermonster. That way I can use it for 6 gallon batches of cider and have more headspace, it's light weight, and I can see it fermenting. Also, I like that it has a large opening which makes cleaning easier than standard carboys.

What would you recommend in addition to the fermonster? I've heard better bottle carboys are nice but they do not have the large opening.

Nick

I recently switched from buckets to Fermonsters, and love the Fermonsters. They seal much better than the buckets (so I can do pressure transfers to kegs), and you can see thru them. For cleaning, I never scrub them. Rinse out what will, then use Oxyclean Free in hot water, let soak for an hour or so, and everything comes off.

Brew on :mug:

I had horrible experiences with a Big Mouth Bubbler so I can't recommend them. It may have been a bad one but I ended up giving it away. I have a Speidel and they're awesome for the price. I also have the Chapman 7gal SS fermenter and love it also. SS is super easy to clean compared to plastic. Both have large openings for cleaning and spigots for transferring so no more racking. I heard the SS Brewbucket is great but that's a little more $$. Once I started using fermenters, I can't see myself ever going back to carboys.

I recently switched from buckets to Fermonsters, and love the Fermonsters. They seal much better than the buckets (so I can do pressure transfers to kegs), and you can see thru them. For cleaning, I never scrub them. Rinse out what will, then use Oxyclean Free in hot water, let soak for an hour or so, and everything comes off.

I scrub my primary with the yellow (i.e., soft) side of a scotch bright sponge. I hope this will be OK and my fermenters will last...

This is a good recommendation. However, it doesn't come in 7 gallons. Since I like to do 6 gallon batches of cider, I wonder if a 6.5 gallon is not enough head space. So far it hasn't been a problem but I haven't brewed that many ciders.

Another questions is, when I brew 2.5 gallon batches, is it OK to put it in a 6.5 or 7 gallon primary? Is that too much head space?

I had horrible experiences with a Big Mouth Bubbler so I can't recommend them. It may have been a bad one but I ended up giving it away. I have a Speidel and they're awesome for the price. I also have the Chapman 7gal SS fermenter and love it also. SS is super easy to clean compared to plastic. Both have large openings for cleaning and spigots for transferring so no more racking. I heard the SS Brewbucket is great but that's a little more $$. Once I started using fermenters, I can't see myself ever going back to carboys.

What was the bad experience with BMB?

I have two brew buckets I use for primary fermentation. Cheap, easy to clean, durable.

My wishlist is Catalyst fermenter - but that's pricey. And I only want it so I can see what is happening and also harvest yeast easily.

My advice: shoot the moon and buy yourself a Speidel Fermenter - https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html.

I have three and I use them almost exclusively. I have a Blichmann 14g conical but I still prefer the Speidel for ease of use and ease of cleaning. They are light, but heavier gauge plastic. They are oversized, so I never need a blow-off tube. The spigot on the bottom makes gravity readings and keg filling a snap.

They are a little more expensive than the other suggestions, but after five years of use I can attest that they are worth every penny.

My advice: shoot the moon and buy yourself a Speidel Fermenter - https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html.

I have three and I use them almost exclusively. I have a Blichmann 14g conical but I still prefer the Speidel for ease of use and ease of cleaning. They are light, but heavier gauge plastic. They are oversized, so I never need a blow-off tube. The spigot on the bottom makes gravity readings and keg filling a snap.

They are a little more expensive than the other suggestions, but after five years of use I can attest that they are worth every penny.

I love my 16 gallon Spiedel. It is almost only think I use now. Fits in my fermentation fridge. Seals tight and takes enough pressure to do a transfer. Easy to clean. Not stainless and I suppose those plastic threaded fittings will wear out over time but seem to be holding up well so far.

I have five of the Big Mouth Bubblers with spigots. Some have had trouble w/ the lids not staying down, for the most part I have not had that trouble.

The fermonster is an excellent choice as well, and it's cheaper. The key to both of these is you can reach inside to clean or to remove and reinstall the spigot, which I do every time.

The expensive fermenters are nice, but there's an advantage to having several of them going at one time.

I also use the 7 Gallon Fermonster and love it.

I am interested in your pressure transfer setup. I bought the fermenter before they offered the valve, and am unsure if i want to add one. If your's does not have the valve, would you mind sharing your setup?

So I bought the 7 gallon fermonster. I really like being able to reach inside to clean, dry hop, etc. I also like that I can see my beer fermenting. One thing that annoyed me when I tried to put the screw top on was that the o-ring which is suppose to sit inside the cap along a track indentation did not fit properly - it kept buckling. I wasn't able to get it to fit properly. It was wet with starsan so maybe that was the problem but I ended up taking it out of the cap and not using it. I screwed the cap on hard and within 24 hours there is airlock activity so perhaps that implies the seal is good even without the o-ring.

If anyone has advice on how to get the o-ring to fit please let me know. Otherwise, I'm please so far with the fermonster.

So I bought the 7 gallon fermonster. I really like being able to reach inside to clean, dry hop, etc. I also like that I can see my beer fermenting. One thing that annoyed me when I tried to put the screw top on was that the o-ring which is suppose to sit inside the cap along a track indentation did not fit properly - it kept buckling. I wasn't able to get it to fit properly. It was wet with starsan so maybe that was the problem but I ended up taking it out of the cap and not using it. I screwed the cap on hard and within 24 hours there is airlock activity so perhaps that implies the seal is good even without the o-ring.

If anyone has advice on how to get the o-ring to fit please let me know. Otherwise, I'm please so far with the fermonster.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=594048 look toward the end.

I am interested in your pressure transfer setup. I bought the fermenter before they offered the valve, and am unsure if i want to add one. If your's does not have the valve, would you mind sharing your setup?

It's pretty simple. I drilled two holes in a #10 rubber stopper. A ~2", 5/16" OD piece of tubing goes in one hole, and a 5/16" OD racking cane goes in the other. I put 1/4" ID silicone tubing on the ends of the short tube and racking cane. The tubing from the short tube has a hose barb to male MFL connector on one end which I connect to a piece of gas tubing connected to my CO2 regulator. The tubing from the racking cane goes to a liquid ball lock QD with a hose barb. The QD goes to the liquid post of the keg being filled. I set my CO2 regulator to 1 - 2 lbs. I have to hold the rubber stopper in the lid of the Fermonster to keep it from blowing out. Here's a pic of the stopper with the short tube and racking cane installed.

Pressure Xfer2.jpg

Brew on :mug;

Speidel is a good fermenter and I have a 30L and a 60L. I also have 2 FTSs SS Brew Buckets that I like better than anything but they are not transparent if this is something you need in a fermenter.

It's pretty simple. I drilled two holes in a #10 rubber stopper. A ~2", 5/16" OD piece of tubing goes in one hole, and a 5/16" OD racking cane goes in the other. I put 1/4" ID silicone tubing on the ends of the short tube and racking cane. The tubing from the short tube has a hose barb to male MFL connector on one end which I connect to a piece of gas tubing connected to my CO2 regulator. The tubing from the racking cane goes to a liquid ball lock QD with a hose barb. The QD goes to the liquid post of the keg being filled. I set my CO2 regulator to 1 - 2 lbs. I have to hold the rubber stopper in the lid of the Fermonster to keep it from blowing out. Here's a pic of the stopper with the short tube and racking cane installed.

Brew on :mug;

Thank You! That is (essentially) what I had in mind, but was trying to figure out how to keep the stopper from popping out when pressurized. So you just hold it down for the entire transfer? Doesn't seem that hard of a task, I guess.

Thank You! That is (essentially) what I had in mind, but was trying to figure out how to keep the stopper from popping out when pressurized. So you just hold it down for the entire transfer? Doesn't seem that hard of a task, I guess.

Yep, hold it down the whole time. No big deal if it pops out occasionally, as you have positive CO2 pressure to keep air out.

I have plans to modify a solid lid with threaded fittings to eliminate the need to hold the stopper in.

Use glass carboys for long term aging, it's not cost effective to use stainless for this and plastic is much too oxygen permeable.

I like stainless.. I have a 14gal conical and plan on getting brew buckets. There really have been nothing but positive things sad about them.

But hell if you like plastic there isn't anything wrong with that stick with brew buckets they are super easy

Latest posts

Back