Which English-style kit from NB would you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
I was just in London yesterday, and I got a Fullers London Pride from a pub. It was... well, kinda flat. Strangely, though, I loved it. The light carbonation was refreshing, and I liked the taste ( I tasted something nutty(?) at the end of each swig).

Anywhoo, that got me wanting to try an English style, but NB has multiple kinds (English Pale Ale, British Bitter, ESB, Innkeeper), so I'm a bit torn.

Are any of these similar to London Pride? That aside, does anyone have any recommendations?

Agreed. Get some Maris Otter grain, or MO extract, a pound of Bairds/Fawcett/Etc... Crystal 60, and some Safale 04, along with some EKG Hops, and you're set! All for about 50% of the price of a NB kit

They did a show on Fuller's LP & ESB on "Can You Brew It" (at the Brewing Network). Supposedly both beers are made from a simple malt bill of 5% crystal malt (60L, I think) and the rest (British) Pale Ale malt. The yeast to use is WLP002 or Wyeast 1968. I believe it's about 30-35 IBU for the LP. OG is 1048 for LP, 1060 for ESB.

Actually, the "Common Room ESB" recipe in the recipe forums here is pretty close--just leave out the extra dark crystal.

I did the ESB recipe, not the kit though. I liked it a lot. IMO, if you want to do a kit, any kit, you cannot beat a NB kit. So look at the descriptions and pick one...

Thanks for all the replies. The clone recipe looks good, but whenever I try those, I often end up with extra ingredients I don't really know what to do with, and I don't brew all that often. I like NB kits because it gives me exactly what I need, and it's 15 minutes away.
I'll mull it over a bit.

The NB "English Pale Ale" looks pretty close to Fuller's LP--get the WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 and you'll be good. The hops are a little different, but using EK Goldings, you might like it better. Also cut back on priming sugar--use an online calculator (I would guess 3-3.5 oz. for 5 gallons).

Their "Innkeeper" kit is supposedly a clone of Timothy Taylor Landlord, another classic special/best bitter.

Back