Which electric controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is definitely not mutually exclusive in my opinion. On my personal rig, I use a 5500W element with a high/low power feed to do both. Element runs at 240VAC (5500W) for strike heating, sparge water heating, mashout, and cleaning. Runs at 120VAC (1375W) for mash temp control and step mashing. I use a relay to switch between the two automatically (switches an element leg between LINE 2 and NEUTRAL), but this could be done with a manual switch too. You even tested this a while back, Bobby.

With advanced software controls, this can power switching can be controlled entirely in software, adjusting control parameters and output limit to 25% to run on 240VAC full time, but hardware above can be quick path otherwise.

Now, regarding the "caramel cylinder"... that is a legit concern. It can be mitigated however with appropriate operation and hardware. Turbulence, mounting, flowrate, and element density are all important factors. I initially used a 5500W foldback wrapped in stainless wire to create turbulence and spread out heat, but have since implemented a purpose-made RIMS element which has the same power density as the wave foldbacks we use in the BK.

I also mentioned the 240/120 switch in the phone conversation but he wasn't comfortable with DIY solutions and no commercial controllers offer it. I need to see if the BrewCommander has the logic to really avoid oscillation with that much power available both in 100% "allowed" mode and at various max powers set.

Back