Which DME and wheat for a Saison??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csubrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, thanks in advance for the advice! Second off, I DID try to search for an answer before posting (I didn't want to be THAT guy), so I apologize if this has been answered before.... But what would be a good DME for a saison? Specifically, this is the recipe (by Nikkormat):

5 lbs DME
1lbs belgian pale
.5lbs oats
1.5 lbs wheat malt

1oz styrian goldings @60m
1oz styrian goldings @30m

In the past, I have always just gone to my LHBS and picked out a kit, and the guy there would assemble it. Now I'm trying to piece one together on Northern Brewer, and I'm running into questions.

Also, what's a good wheat malt? White, pale, dark, cara?

Lastly, a lot of people say that quaker old-fashioned oats are fine for brewing, but I thought I would get some confirmation. Also, roasted or unroasted?

Thanks again!

Are you trying to brew the exact recipe you posted? If so, and you probably know this already, but that's a partial mash recipe, so the pale malt, wheat, and oats must be mashed.

To answer your questions, I would probably use Pilsen DME for a Saison. For the wheat malt, I would go with pale or white. If I recall correctly, the pale wheat is just a touch darker than the white wheat, either should work fine though. As for the oats, yes you can use quaker oats. Mashing the oats with a base grain is required.

Back