Which burner to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a brew stand, based on the 'Weldless Wallace' build. I still need three burners for it and don't quite know which way to go. I need the burners only, not burners with accompanying stands. What do you folks who have brew stands with built in burners use? And, have you been happy or disappointed with them? I've read some reviews of the banjo burners that say they go through propane pretty quickly. Right now, I'm using a turkey fryer burner for 5 gallon batches of extract and get 5 or so runs from a typical tank. Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Most turkey fryers have a SP10 style burner, the "cup" style, approximately 50k BTU, I have the same style myself. I have more that enough heat to boil 8 gallons of wort.
Yes, the large banjo styles do use more propane, but they will also put out more heat. You are left with two questions, what is the largest pot you see yourself using, and how fast do you need the boil to happen?

I use BG10 replacement burners, I think I paid $15 a piece for them on ebay a few years ago. I went with a 20psi regulator and I can boil 13.5 gallons in about a half hour. If I had to buy a new regulator I would buy a 30psi to get the heat up faster. I can make 2.5 10 gallon batches per tank which is about the same as before 5ish 5 gallon batches per tank.

SP10, BG10, same thing I guess. How far open are you on your regulator? That's a quick boil on such a large pot, I believe. I have only had my new burner for my last 4 batches, so I am still trying to figure out where is the sweet spot is.

Back