Which brew to cut short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSwede

Reaction score
So last weekend I had a big brewing weekend where I brewed 3 days in a row. What a luxury! Next weekend I have a day which would work out well to brew again....but I dont have the space for a fourth! So the question is....which of the 3 will lose the least coming out after 2 weeks. The 3 choices are 1) a malty IPA which will finish at around 6%. 2) a dry best bitter at around 4.8% or 3) a juicy DIPA at around 8.5%. Obviously we are assuming that all 3 have hit FG after the 2 weeks.

To clarify I originally intended to let all 3 sit in primary for 3 weeks.

Discuss.

Whichever one is clear, I guess. I would package any of them at two weeks, if the dryhopping is already done and it's ready. I package most of my beers at 10-14 days, if the are clear or mostly clear.

So last weekend I had a big brewing weekend where I brewed 3 days in a row. What a luxury! Next weekend I have a day which would work out well to brew again....but I dont have the space for a fourth! So the question is....which of the 3 will lose the least coming out after 2 weeks. The 3 choices are 1) a malty IPA which will finish at around 6%. 2) a dry best bitter at around 4.8% or 3) a juicy DIPA at around 8.5%. Obviously we are assuming that all 3 have hit FG after the 2 weeks.

To clarify I originally intended to let all 3 sit in primary for 3 weeks.

Discuss.

I presume you mean you don't have room for the 4th brew in a fermentation chamber which has a controller for adjusting the temperature of the fermenting beer. With that in mind, if you put the controller sensor on one fermenter, you are only controlling the temperature of that fermenter, not all 3. The other 2 could be too warm or too cold, depending on the yeast activity.

Now on to the other problem, room for the 4th fermenter after the first beers have been in a temperature controlled environment for 2 weeks. The temperature for fermentation only needs to be controlled for the period where the yeast are very active, eating the easy sugars. That is normally over within the first 3 to 5 days, perhaps a day or 2 longer for a very high gravity beer. After those first few days the beer can be allowed to come to room temp as any off flavors are already produced and the warmer temps will help the yeast clean up these. Since it will have been 2 weeks before you brew the next beer, take all the previously brewed beers out before you put the new one in.

Have the IPA's had dry hops for the prescribed amount of time? If so, those should be bottled first. I suppose they could be ready at 2 weeks, if you dry hopped at one week??? I am old school when it comes to dry hopping. I go 10 - 14 days to be sure of FG, then dry hop for another 5-7 days. So my short case puts me at 15 days.

Back